Options

A 2006 CCNA with some questions about re-certifying

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I've FINALLY gotten the motivation to renew my CCNA certification. Probably because I just got a job as a Jr. Network Admin in a very heavily "switched" organization.

Some questions...

So, first off, what's the big diff between that test and the new one? I keep hearing how it's almost like it was with the MCSE NT 4 and the 2003 where the older one was somewhat of a walk in the park and not as respected and the new one much tougher. In what way is the new one tougher? And exactly what's different about how the test is administered? Is it just tougher questions?

How much tougher is it to take the one big test instead of breaking it down in to two? I really hate the idea of two tests. As far as my knowledge, I've pretty much forgotten most of what I know from the first test, but I am familiar with the concepts. I mean I know some of the basic commands and making my way around a router/switch, but if you presented me with an OSPF question I would have no idea of how to answer it. I'm sure it would be easier for me to get up to speed than someone who hasn't taken the test all before. I just got re-familiar with my subnetting and have been able to answer about 95% of any of the various questions I've seen on here and on the free subnetting questions site.

Given my background I just mentioned, how long do you think it would take to be ready for the test given about 10 hours of study per week. My only resources are the Lammle book I just ordered and probably some switches and routers at work and I still have the old boson sim from back when I took the first test. I'm not sure if this would be violating any Cisco "rule" but one of the network Admins has packet tracer installed on his PC because he's in the Academy and was gonna ask him if I could use it on HIS computer where it's already installed. So, for the sake of answering the question, let's just assume I will have access to that. Not sure if I will, but just to get an idea how long it might take me to be ready.

Thanx

Edit: As I was on the crapper thinking about this..ha ha..I realized it would probably be more like 15 hours of study time if you factor in the labs. I don't see that as study time, that's fun time. It would be about 10 hours of reading the book and "learning" stuff, and 5 hours or maybe even more of lab time. And prob at some point it would be adjusted to more lab time and less book time.

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    You sound motivated enough so I don't think it would take you long at all. The two test route is good for someone that has no experience in networking as it breaks up the amount of information you can be tested on. It sounds like you have enough equipment and resources to pass. It's all up to you. No sweat!