Options

CCNP in 4 weeks ?

arsalan921arsalan921 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

In my area there is a college which is offering tuition for CCNP course ( all 4 papers ) in 4 weeks time period. classes would be 5 times a week and about 5 to 6 hours duation. what do you guys think on this ? is it possible to cover this course in 4 weeks ? because i have seen many guys who gave many months to this course.

At moment i have prepared for my CCNA but i plan to give exam after i take tuition for CCNP.

those who have given CCNP or are preparing for it, i would like to get some advice form you people that what do i need to do for making the best use from this academy which are preparing students in only 1 month.

thank you

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I honestly don't think that it is possible. Maybe for one section such as BSCI, BCMSN, ONT, ISCW. But, all four tests and material in four weeks to become a CCNP? I have to say no. I have been studying for my BCMSN for almost two months. I'm finishing up the wireless section so that I can go back and review everything and do a few more practice labs and take my first attempt in 12 days (Dec. 3, 2009) This is just one portion of the material.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if it was possible there is no way that I would want to even do it. You wouldn't retain much of anything if you went through the ENTIRE CCNP course in 4 weeks. I'm about to begin my CCNP and I'm planning about 2-6 months on the BSCI. I'm hoping to knock that one out before the change or at least hoping that the new routing tests will have a lot of the same info from BSCI.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only way I would think this was even possible is if you worked in the field and had a lot of experience in each of the areas tested which is highly unlikely. My lead site engineer has a lot of security experience and keeps saying he is going to take all the CCSP exams in one day but I'm still waiting to see that happen.

Spend the time to learn the information for yourself, in the end you'll make a better employee than someone who crammed their way through the exams. Good luck!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I concur. Most people take 2-3 months (if not longer) per exam. There are obviously exceptions for people who already have mastered the material and just need to review and take the exams, but I'd say that's damn near impossible if you're at a CCNA-level.
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    dynamik wrote: »
    I concur. Most people take 2-3 months (if not longer) per exam. There are obviously exceptions for people who already have mastered the material and just need to review and take the exams, but I'd say that's damn near impossible if you're at a CCNA-level.
    Ditto. I've just sunk about 2 months into BSCI and am re-taking it very soon (I expect to pass this time). I had hoped to do an exam a month, but realized (with a near-pass) that was impossible for me, even with my experience. So to consider getting you from CCNA level to CCNP level in 4 weeks? Doesn't seem possible to me.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    thank you all of you for your replies.
    i have to think about it.

then some of you might have heard about Boot Camp in USA CCNP in 12 days ? who are these students who go for CCNP in 12 days ? are these guys some really experienced guys ? or after studying from these acadamies they do the same thing as others, spend months on this course ?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's either for people who are experienced and ready to take the exam or they just **** and give you the questions and answers for the exams. There's no way you can (legitimately) go from CCNA to CCNP in a couple weeks. Take your time and actually learn the material. That will be much more beneficial for you.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    arsalan921 wrote: »
    In my area there is a college which is offering tuition for CCNP course ( all 4 papers ) in 4 weeks time period. classes would be 5 times a week and about 5 to 6 hours duation. what do you guys think on this ? is it possible to cover this course in 4 weeks ? because i have seen many guys who gave many months to this course.

A real boot camp (and even the real Training Classes) for each exam would probably need at least a week each of at least 8 hour days -- plus additional lab availability in the evening. And to get anything from the bootcamp/Training Class the student would still need to do a bunch of study and preparation before attending.
    then some of you might have heard about Boot Camp in USA CCNP in 12 days ?
    Yeah -- but it's more likely a **** Camp, not a Boot Camp. All they do is "teach the ****."
    who are these students who go for CCNP in 12 days ?
    People too stupid to **** on their own.
    are these guys some really experienced guys ?
    No -- they just have more money than brains.
    or after studying from these acadamies they do the same thing as others, spend months on this course ?
    Nope. If they fail, they either use their "free retake" option to sit that part of the course again -- or they pay someone to take the exam for them.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These bootcamps should be called Muppet bootcamps LOL. A bootcamp for muppets.

Its abit like asking someone fresh out of school "why not spend 4 weeks doing a bootcamp couse to become a doctor or engineer instead of spending 3-4 years at university".

Would you hire an engineer or doctor who has gone from zero to hero in 4 weeks without any experiance beforehand ? hmmm lets see ?? It takes years of experiance, and an expert level knowledge i would think, to be able to handle completing the CCNP in 4 weeks. And even then you might struggle. Seriously though, if you have zero experiance in cisco/networking, then what exacty do you hope to get out of a 4 week CCNP bootcamp ??

More like these courses spend 1 week going through each **** paper lol. Which is fair enough. If you are already a guru then why would you need to go through the whole syllabus.

I hear that CCNA and CCNP certificates also come in cereal boxes these days. So go on, open up that box, today might be your lucky day!!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello guys,

At moment i have prepared for my CCNA but i plan to give exam after i take tuition for CCNP.

those who have given CCNP or are preparing for it, i would like to get some advice form you people that what do i need to do for making the best use from this academy which are preparing students in only 1 month.

thank you

I don't know the particular course but it's very common for such courses to provide **** to students to go over in class. I know one person who attended such a camp sponsored by the company for CCNA. The instructor gave a bit of a powerpoint presentation, went through the topics briefly, then doled out the braindumps to the students. He would read his newspaper until a student asked a question about anything in the ****. I heard one well known CCIE training company similarly doled out **** to their CCIE written bootcamp students.

Avoid at all costs. While clearly there are very many people today who simply dont want to put the time in to study for exams properly, it's the only way you will really learn the material. There is no easy way to do that. It requires lots of personal time and effort to become truly competant at this stuff. Given the effort required these days to keep up with things, the gulf between great engineers and mediocre ones is widening all the time because of this trend. Decide what you want to be and do that.
  • Options
    milanomilano Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Its nice to listen you all! oops! wat a story!!!! in 4 weeks 4 exams!!! ha ha ha...........

ok ok, i'm planning to do ccip ( now preparing for bsci). wat abt the job opertunity. hooooooo..... I didn't see any post like this! cool
    this may look silly question!!!!!! but I have a big question abt it in all my head!!!!! pls looking some guide!!!!

Milan O
  • Options
    milano wrote: »
    Hi
    Its nice to listen you all! oops! wat a story!!!! in 4 weeks 4 exams!!! ha ha ha...........

ok ok, i'm planning to do ccip ( now preparing for bsci). wat abt the job opertunity. hooooooo..... I didn't see any post like this! cool
    this may look silly question!!!!!! but I have a big question abt it in all my head!!!!! pls looking some guide!!!!

Milan O

For job opportunities you either want significant experience with BGP and VRFs most likely in the carrier space, else one of those floor sweeping NOC jobs to shadow the experienced folks.
  • Options
    i am definitely not going into this bootcamp now, otherwise i was planning to start from december. now i will atleast self-study the material for 2 months then join the normal track for this course which is of 4 months i think. this much time would be enough i think. can anyone please tell me in which order the 4 exams should be given, ( BCMSN-> BSCI -> ISCW -> ONT ), this is what i have thought of , i would like to hear from you people as well.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    even the thought of it make me chuckle and think about 7 seconds ABS....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i am definitely not going into this bootcamp now, otherwise i was planning to start from december. now i will atleast self-study the material for 2 months then join the normal track for this course which is of 4 months i think. this much time would be enough i think. can anyone please tell me in which order the 4 exams should be given, ( BCMSN-> BSCI -> ISCW -> ONT ), this is what i have thought of , i would like to hear from you people as well.

I haven't even started the CCNP quite yet myself but I think 4 months might even be pushing it. I'm estimating that it's going to take me about 10-14 months to knock the CCNP out with consistent study. I may be way off though....
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    It depends on experience and the amount of study time you put in. Experience would be the primary factor. If you've mastered the topics and have had countless hours of hands on in the field then it could definitely be done. If it is all new to you then no it cannot be done in four weeks. Take your time to learn the material and understand the theory behind it and gain the experience in the field. I can't emphasize this enough because there are many people who rush to take exams and cram the material in before taking an exam then pass only to forget what they have crammed within days. You want to pass the exam and get certified knowing that you are a master at what you are certified in.
  • Options
    thank you Tim100 for your reply,

i have left the idea of taking this bootcamp as i am new to CCNP, i have yet to start this course, so will take time for self-study first then join the academy for 4 months not 4 weeks. academy offers 2 routes 4 weeks and 4 months, so definitely 4 weeks is not for me.

thank you all of you in helping me make a right decision.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    thank you Tim100 for your reply,

i have left the idea of taking this bootcamp as i am new to CCNP, i have yet to start this course, so will take time for self-study first then join the academy for 4 months not 4 weeks. academy offers 2 routes 4 weeks and 4 months, so definitely 4 weeks is not for me.

thank you all of you in helping me make a right decision.

In my opinion 4 months is pushing it when moving from CCNA to CCNP

it took me 6 months for BSCI....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    It's hard to explain the difference between the CCNA and CCxP exams. Usually, when I try to explain, they just shrug me off. The first Pro level exam is definitely a wake up call.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    4 months still seems too short. 2 months per exam = 8 months. That's IF you pass each exam the first time, some people do 3 months (3 x 4 = 12 months). Have you passed your CCNA yet?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I could see 1 month of study per exam -- if you already have some good networking and/or Cisco experience.

If you don't already have some of the knowledge and skills, then you're going to need lots of motivation and dedication -- and a really good instructor. But it could be done. It would help if getting the CCNP and studying for one of the exams was your "job" during that month. Stringing together 4 of those months in a row is the hard part.

At least 2 months per exam is probably more realistic for a motivated certification candidate doing self-study. Plus you'd still have time to do your laundry and eat breakfast.

And at least 3 months per exams is probably a more "sustainable" study rate -- but you still need to be motivated, you just have to give up less of your life.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    By way of an example back in 2000 I had the run of a Cisco network for the first time and set about studying for the CCNP in September of that year. I cleared CCNA about a year prior to that. I did switching first. By June 2001 I had managed to complete the whole track with 4 straight passes. I should say though that I spent a lot of evenings and weekends with my head in books. No time to study on works time, too much real work to do.
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CCNP is 4 semesters worth of classes. Even if you were taking the BSCI exam in 4 weeks I wouldn't do it. In other words, I wouldn't even take a class going 4 weeks for 1/4 of the CCNP certification. If you don't have to pay anything go ahead for the learning experience.
  • Options
    hogan868hogan868 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To gain the CCNP and understand the material in 4 weeks is very improbable considering 4 weeks is not truly enough to cover all the theory, what about the lab work? It took me about 2 years of studying (with 1 1/2 years of experience working as a WAN admin for an ISP) to pass the composite.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I've completed the BSCI, the BCMSN and am sitting the ISCW in December. I've averaged about 3 months on each exam, with 4 months spent on the BSCI. I've been studying for about 10 months. That's with 10 YEARS of experience in IT, the bulk of that being in network and systems administration in large infrastructures. CCNP level exams are tough, they test your knowledge level as well as your implementation skills. The prep work is equally tough and very time consuming. Any prep work worth its salt is going to take you longer than 1 week. Bottom line, I would say it's impossible, even with many years of experience. The CCNP is just so encompasing, you have to focus on it's topics to pass it. Most people dont have experience with every topic, i.e. IPv6, BGP, IS-IS, Wireless, VoIP, Multicast, MPLS, IOS Firewall, IPS/IDS, etc. You may have some, but I dont know many who are prepared to sit an exam for all of the topics in the CCNP without adequate preparation.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    jimbarinojimbarino Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished the CCNP on Saturday. My first attempt at the BSCI was in February of this year, and it was a real awakening as to how much more difficult these Pro level tests are than the CCNA (which I breezed through a few years ago after flipping through a prep book at Borders...) I've been using Cisco gear for a looong time (first "taking out of the box and configuring a router all by myself" was circa 1995), but these tests kicked my ass. It took me 4 tries on the BSCI, and 3 on the BMSCN. Of course, my study habits are not the greatest. (Mostly just "read about it, try it on GNS3 or a router at work, etc.")

I think if I had no job, no wife, and no house projects, I could have devoted full time to it and maybe could have finished it 2 - 4 months. Maybe - but probably not.
    "An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered."

- G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i did it on 4 months 1/2 but i had already been working on ciscos for a while
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started fresh off CCNA, spent 4-5 months for BSCI, 2 months for BCMSN, 3-4 months on ISCW, 3 months for ONT.

Total: 1 y and 2-3 months. Grant it, I didn't push as hard as I did with the other exams, on the BSCI, which is why it took longer, I also attended a global Knowledge course for 5 days (bootcamp) for BSCI.

No disrespect to anyone in here but other than having many years of experience with cisco, then I could see someone passing the CCNP legitimately within 6 months. Literally reading one CCNP book front to back can take one to 2 months alone, this does not count skimming through chapters or skipping chapters. I mean full on word for word reading every chapter, would take about a month minimum. Then to use lab and practice the technologies i dont see anyone getting through an entire book in 2 weeks.

Hell i dont see anyone being able to memorize 4 test braindumps in 4 weeks lol, thats probably like 2 thousand questions and answers lol Good Luck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    i am very thankful to all of you who told about their experience and how much time you people gave for this certification. CCNP.

4 months is the longest period available in colleges here for CCNP, no college takes longer than this in my area. so before going for these classes i will first go through the material for a month and then go for classes. after 4 months i will see in what position i am, how much i am prepared then will schedule tests accordingly. during this period i will give my full time to this course only.

OR

after reading replies thinking of that the other option could be to look for an internship here and then study along with some part-time job as classes for CCNP are at night and in day time i can find a part-time job, may be it would better prepare me for my course. but going with this option would definitely take more time than 1st option.

@bilscott
    no i haven't given ccna yet, i will give ccna and ccnp together. ccna i have self-studied and for ccnp i am joining college so want to practice on some real cisco devices before giving ccna.