Options

CCNP - need a few answers

GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
I was wondering if there are any new books I should get for BSCI. The bookmark sections for books are like 3-4 years old so I wasn't sure about getting recommended books from there. Plus I hear there is a change coming in 2010 (?) for CCNP. If anyone could point me to the right direction on which books and minimum routers/switches (which kind) I need to get CCNP, I'd be grateful. This is for self-study.

On the side-note, I'd like to thank CCNA forum for their help in pointing me to the right direction concerning study materials. I know the last time I log in was back in August of 2008. A lot have happened, but in shorts, I have passed CCNA.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want to wait until Cisco announces the latest changes to the CCNP Certification exams -- probably in January -- then grab the Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP volumes (by Doyle) and start reading. It's probably a good idea NOT to buy the CCNP Certification Library (the 4 volume set of CCNP Exam Certification Guides) until then.

From the CCNP Forum FAQ:
    For the Cisco CCNP Exams, the Cisco Press books are the best, and in most cases, the only books you can find for the exams.
    icon_exclaim.gifCisco Press CCNP Books

The official Cisco Course materials and/or Cisco Partner eLearning is an option for those with access.

The Cisco Documentation is another source for studying -- and one candidates for the Cisco Professional Level Certifications should become familiar with.
    Get both the Cisco Press Self-Study and Exam Certification Guides for the exams were both are available (BSCI & BCMSN).

Use the Cisco Documentation & Cisco White Papers to fill in any gaps for the exams that just have a Cisco Press Exam Certification Guide. Use the exam blueprints to keep track of the topics you've studied and the topics you need to find more information on the Cisco websites.

I like the Quick Reference Sheets for a quick overview of the topics, and for review in the parking lot outside the test center on exam day.

The Lab Portfolios are good for people who want to do more lab work. I think since they are part of the Cisco Network Academy courseware, they are more "walk through" and "teaching" labs, rather than "knowledge testing labs" -- but the Challenge Labs can make you "work for it" and sweat a little bit. :D

The Command Reference books are good if you don't want to take lots of "command notes." The time you save writing can be spent typing commands in your lab/simulator/emulator and paging through and reviewing the commands in the books.

The Video Mentors are good for the information they cover, but they are not complete CBT solutions like CBT Nuggets and TrainSignal.

The Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guides are a good additional source. Lots of people have used them to "get over the hump" -- and some people who used his CCNA material to get over the "CCNA Hump" use his CCNP material to avoid the "CCNP humps" entirely.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!