Best books to buy

hansie350hansie350 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a new student to the world of IT and have started with the 70-270 course. I would just like to know which books are best to buy and which are best value for money cos I am short in that department. Any input would be thankfully accepted.
Full steam ahead, and F*$& the icebergs!

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I passed with Exam Cram2.
  • allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    MS Press
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • EluderEluder Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Que Publishing's 70-270 Training Kit (Exam Cram 2 publishers).
    I used that book and it was pretty good for my studying purposes.
    I suplemented it with Transcender's practice exams and those were a great help. Good luck!
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I just started using the Exam Cram 2 and it looks like its going to be a fantastic book!
  • hansie350hansie350 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is the 70-270 test a good place to start for a novice like myself or should I have started with one of the other modules first? Thanks for all the replies so far.
    Full steam ahead, and F*$& the icebergs!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    hansie350 wrote:
    Is the 70-270 test a good place to start for a novice like myself or should I have started with one of the other modules first? Thanks for all the replies so far.

Do you have experience with XP? Most people would suggest this order for Certs:
    A+
    N+
    MCP (70-210) or (70-270)
    and so on....
    If you are asking about where you should start on a MCSa/MCSE track - Yes start with 70-270 then work your way into server platforms..
    It really depends how much of a Novice you ARE? :)
  • vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been working in the field for about two years. I've earned A+, Network+ on my own. Now it on to 70-270.

I good book to have is ISBN# 0735618054
    "Microsoft Windows XP-Inside Out Deluxe Edition"
    Last night I bought ISBN# 0782142419 by Sybex titled MCSA/MCSE Windows XP Professional Study Guide, Second Edition (70-270).

Remember this: If you have a computer with a High speed connection, are able to buy quality study manuals then you don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to take a class. You'll learn more on your own. If you have no drive and cant work on your own then enroll yourself in class. When the professor starts to do everything you can do at home without him, then you will see what I mean.
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mobri09 wrote:
    I just started using the Exam Cram 2 and it looks like its going to be a fantastic book!

yup! I'm using the ms press book and EC2 as well, and they seem to cover all the bases between the two.

Of all ironies, the MCDST XP book is also pretty golden on the user interface and has a lot of great explanations for permissions. MS press is definitely hiring better writers than in the past.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber