Options

Cisco Job Outlook?

nicolasqueennicolasqueen Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

With all the job issues in the US currently, what is the outlook for people with a CCNA currently?

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    About the same without a CCNA.

Its a very small part of being over all employable, and I wouldn't rely on it to carry you.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is like any other market. Make yourself marketable. Learn to sell yourself. Just because hold a certification that is the foot through HR and that is it. The IT guys that interview you will know your knowledge but remember you have to get through the HR people which have no technical skills but do know what the IT Guys or Girls are looking for.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    what is the outlook for people with a CCNA currently?
    If you have one and list it on your resume, you stand a chance of having your resume pulled from a pile (or database) by companies that use CCNA as a keyword to search for resumes worth a 10 second look.

If you don't have one, your resume probably wouldn't even get a 10 second look.

After that it depends on the job and what the company is looking for -- and how your resume presents your experience (or lack of experience), education (or lack of education), and skills (or lack of skills).

The CCNA is NOT a magical piece of paper that admits you to job interviews. Over 1/2 the people with CCNAs we consider for jobs can't even get past a simple 10 question technical phone interview. They've either just learned enough for long enough to pass the CCNA exam and then forgot it all, or they cheated to get the CCNA -- or a combination of both of those.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you have one and list it on your resume, you stand a chance of having your resume pulled from a pile (or database) by companies that use CCNA as a keyword to search for resumes worth a 10 second look.

If you don't have one, your resume probably wouldn't even get a 10 second look.

After that it depends on the job and what the company is looking for -- and how your resume presents your experience (or lack of experience), education (or lack of education), and skills (or lack of skills).

The CCNA is NOT a magical piece of paper that admits you to job interviews. Over 1/2 the people with CCNAs we consider for jobs can't even get past a simple 10 question technical phone interview. They've either just learned enough for long enough to pass the CCNA exam and then forgot it all, or they cheated to get the CCNA -- or a combination of both of those.

mikej412 any opportunities for CCNA's at your company at this time, I'm willing to relocate at my cost :D
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    any opportunities for CCNA's at your company at this time
    Open positions are far and few between.

We're still "right-sizing." If you're salaried and not working 56 hours a week then your department/group is "overstaffed." icon_rolleyes.gif My favorite part is where they still budget projects and work for 40 hours a week. icon_lol.gif Luckly I'm one of the handful of contract employees that survived the contractor/employee massacres -- and I'm happy to bill ALL my hours (no overtime, but double time on holidays icon_cheers.gif).

We only had one rack 'n stack position open up so far this quarter (due to a promotion). And we've given up on hiring any more CCVPs (since most of them couldn't make a phone call if we gave them a pay phone and a pocketful of change) and are pretty much filling our open voice positions from within via internal training and on the job training.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!