Options

Is windows ok with using multiple wireless adapters?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I heard that windows supports the use of multiple wireless adapter. Is this true and has anyone had any issues with doing this? Just wanted to make sure I don't need to disable my on-board wireless card. I'm using Windows 7.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    It should work. The two issues to look out for if both are connected simultaneously are interference (especially if they're on overlapping channels), and having more than one default gateway. If only one is connected at a time, those are both non-issues.
  • Options
    Ok thanks. In the worst-case senario I could just go to device manager and disable my on-board wireless. The external card that I ordered off of amazon should be delivered by Friday. I can't wait to try it out. :)
    (1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Adapter With Original Alfa Screw-On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna AWUS036H + 9dBi)

Too bad I can't find a 50W amp out there lol.
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    Too bad I can't find a 50W amp out there lol.

Talk about a geeky way of keeping your coffee warm...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGeek wrote: »

I use to own a 6 Meter tube radio. That thing kept my bedroom warm in the winter icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    If I combined that amp with an antenna in the attic I could possibly get wifi connectivity over a mile radius :)
  • Options
    I just found out that the wireless adaper that I ordered appears to reqire 3 usb ports. . . two to supply power, and 1 for the actual connection, Allthough some people have reported being able to run it off of just 1 connection.
  • Options
    I really do wish that there was a 5 watt adapter, the highest I have seen so far is 1 watt.
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    I really do wish that there was a 5 watt adapter, the highest I have seen so far is 1 watt.

That's probably because the FCC limits transmitter output to 1 watt. For most applications, if 100mW doesn't do it for you, you're probably better off looking into a better antenna then cranking up the power. The antenna will reduce noise coming from other directions, and help out with both transmit and receive, rather than just transmit.
  • Options
    That's probably because the FCC limits transmitter output to 1 watt. For most applications, if 100mW doesn't do it for you, you're probably better off looking into a better antenna then cranking up the power. The antenna will reduce noise coming from other directions, and help out with both transmit and receive, rather than just transmit.
    I had a feeling that the FCC had something to do with that. The one I'm ordering comes with 2 antennas, a 3db and a 9 db external antenna if I remember right (too lazy to look it up on Amazon.)
  • Options
    I just got my wireless adapter in the mail today. It works great. The real odd thing though is that the large 9db antenna was actually worse than the 3 db antenna. go figure.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What type of antenna is it? There are different varieties for different purposes.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What type of antenna is it? There are different varieties for different purposes.
    It's just a regular omi-directional antenna. It's an alpha 2.4 ghz 9 dbi antenna.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I have a alfa as well with a connection to a omni antenna. Got is for some CEH studying for wireless. But all mine needs is a one USB port. Not sure where you got yours from but this is where i got mine.

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-73/802.11g-USB-802.11b-high-dsh-power/Detail.bok

I have huge gains with the extra omni antenna on mine so not sure whats going on with yours. Sounds like a faulty antenna no way your signal should degrade.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to check your cable/connections as well.
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote: »
    I have a alfa as well with a connection to a omni antenna. Got is for some CEH studying for wireless. But all mine needs is a one USB port. Not sure where you got yours from but this is where i got mine.

Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW (formerly 500mW) Long-distance USB Wireless Adapter + Antenna

I have huge gains with the extra omni antenna on mine so not sure whats going on with yours. Sounds like a faulty antenna no way your signal should degrade.
    I did get some wrong info. Mine too only needs one usb port. I got mine off of Amazon thugh DB Roth.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You might want to check your cable/connections as well.
    I've tried that with no luck.
  • Options
    I emailed them and they are sending me a new antenna.