Options

Books practice tests etc

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Yup. My CCNA has expired so Im thinking of taking it out. Do you know if Lammle has a decent book out for the new versions? I saw something on amazon but the reviews are terrible. I haven't read his books since just after he stopped publishing them with his shiney head on the back. Long time ago that. Perhaps you recommend Odom instead?

Essentially I want a book that has a good review so I can bone up on the CCNA'eque things I may have forgotton or I'm just not aware of these days. I understand wireless is on the test. I covered some theory on that for the CCIE written back in 2007 so thats one thing I will need to brush up on, but Im sure there are other things. I will not be caught out by a stupid assumption that because I have done so much IE prep I will sail through this test, there are bound to be things on the CCNA that I need to look into. If I prepare carefully I can avoid the embarassment of a fail due to lack of prep on things particular to the CCNA and I would expect to pass it. I passed my CCNA way back in 1999.

I just got done with the Boson test for CCNA and my marks are high but I can see from that practice test there are various little things I need to bone up on a little. confregs spring to mind, wireless, boot sequence et al some other things.

Any recommended books/practice tests welcome.

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    First off, you are going to need to learn subnetting. Also, it wouldn't hurt to understand private addressing, as thats important.

Have you used the CLI much? I would suggest trying to get some hands on, doing things like setting the hostname, ip addresses, and maybe even look into RIP (its a routing protocol that many advanced large networks use). Oh, and have you ever heard of the OSI model?

Didn't doing the written re-cert you? I guess grab Odem's book (its what I used but that was the old version, although not as old as your version :P), although I imagine you will be bored to death reading it. CCNA is expensive now too, so make sure you want to drop the coin first.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    First off, you are going to need to learn subnetting. Also, it wouldn't hurt to understand private addressing, as thats important.

Have you used the CLI much? I would suggest trying to get some hands on, doing things like setting the hostname, ip addresses, and maybe even look into RIP (its a routing protocol that many advanced large networks use). Oh, and have you ever heard of the OSI model?

Dude, not to embarrass you but have you looked at his certs list? :)
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yup. My CCNA has expired so Im thinking of taking it out. Do you know if Lammle has a decent book out for the new versions? I saw something on amazon but the reviews are terrible. I haven't read his books since just after he stopped publishing them with his shiney head on the back. Long time ago that. Perhaps you recommend Odom instead?

Essentially I want a book that has a good review so I can bone up on the CCNA'eque things I may have forgotton or I'm just not aware of these days. I understand wireless is on the test. I covered some theory on that for the CCIE written back in 2007 so thats one thing I will need to brush up on, but Im sure there are other things. I will not be caught out by a stupid assumption that because I have done so much IE prep I will sail through this test, there are bound to be things on the CCNA that I need to look into. If I prepare carefully I can avoid the embarassment of a fail due to lack of prep on things particular to the CCNA and I would expect to pass it. I passed my CCNA way back in 1999.

I just got done with the Boson test for CCNA and my marks are high but I can see from that practice test there are various little things I need to bone up on a little. confregs spring to mind, wireless, boot sequence et al some other things.

Any recommended books/practice tests welcome.

I really like the Odom book that I am reading for the CCENT (he also does the ICND2 as well) so far. It's well written and very precise. I would figure the configuration is really not what you would be weak in right? If so maybe you just need the CCENT book for the theory. Just my thoughts from my very limited experience...

http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-Official-Certification-Guide/dp/1587201828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258994724&sr=8-1
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I renewed my CCNA in January and I used the Lammle books (study guide and fast pass). I also used them both when I first passed the CCNA in 2005. I think they're great. Both times I thorougly read through the study guide, and went through every lab enough times until I had it down. Once I was done with the study guide, I quickly went through the fast pass for review, then scheduled and took the exam.

Looking at the Amazon reviews, it looks like the fast pass has a low review score because people expected to use it as their sole study material. I think the fast pass should mainly be used for review. The study guide review score is better. Both only have a handful of reviews, though.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options

haha I was just teasing him. Im sure he could go sit the CCNA tomorrow and pass no problem.

Im not sure if I would renew my CCNA without an employer needed it current. Although I guess for my CCNA to expire then my CCNP would as well, which I wouldn't want to happen (not taking all those tests again!).
  • Options
    haha I was just teasing him. Im sure he could go sit the CCNA tomorrow and pass no problem.

Im not sure if I would renew my CCNA without an employer needed it current. Although I guess for my CCNA to expire then my CCNP would as well, which I wouldn't want to happen (not taking all those tests again!).

I'm still kinda confused about all that. I want to take the CCSP path after I finish my CCNA. Would each exam keep pushing back the expiration date as I go?
  • Options

hehehe..you need a bit of cheek in this line of work ;)

Well I like Wendall's writing style so I reckon I will pick up his latest book, run through it and obliterate the test sometime before Christmas. I would like to do the CCNA voice thing too.
  • Options
    I'm still kinda confused about all that. I want to take the CCSP path after I finish my CCNA. Would each exam keep pushing back the expiration date as I go?

As far as I understand it, if you take a professional exam or expert exam, it re-certifies anything at it's level, as well as anything below it.

So if you got your CCNA in 2000, you have to take either the CCNA again, or a 642 exam by 2003. Basically if you just have to take some kind of professional level exam every 3 years to keep things current (not counting the IE, which I believe is 2 years).

The rules might have changed though, as I haven't looked closely at it in a long time.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    He was being funny -- and I'm still laughing icon_lol.gif

icon_exclaim.gifOdom Certification Library AND Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition)
    The Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition and Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition are the books most recommended by TechExams.Net members.

The Odom CCNA Exam Certification Library is probably the best CCNA prep out there -- and could fill in some tiny cracks in your CCIE Foundation.

Todd's Sybex book is Fast, Fun, and Efficient if you've already got some Cisco experience. icon_lol.gif Plus the subnetting review couldn't hurt icon_lol.gif .

You're right about not taking the CCNA exam for granted, but if comes down to time -- I'd say you've got the experience to just go with Todd's CCNA 6th Edition (and the exam blueprint).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    He was being funny -- and I'm still laughing icon_lol.gif

Now that I reread his post I am picking up on the sarcasm icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just remembered the Cisco Press Flash Cards & Practice Tests (probably Boson tests and engine).

I actually got a copy to brush up on Cisco trivia for the CCIE open ended questions (to go along with my old CCNP & CCIE versions) before I try the IPExpert/Internetwork Expert OEQ apps.

CCNA Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 3rd Edition
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options