Why do some commands not work?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have just gotten to the command section of my CCENT book, and I am surprised to find that some commands get the Invalid input detected response. Any ideas?

Model:

Cisco Catalyst 3500XL: Ver 12.0

commands
:

show nvram

show system

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you only have a 3500xl you are going to run into quite a few more commands that don't work also. The CCNA material is based on the 2960 series switches (although I don't think show nvram is supported on those either). That is why most people here recommend 2950s or better.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you only have a 3500xl you are going to run into quite a few more commands that don't work also. The CCNA material is based on the 2960 series switches (although I don't think show nvram is supported on those either). That is why most people here recommend 2950s or better.

Hmm, I thought the 3500s were newer than the 2950s. I guess I made a mistake. Do you think they will still be good for the CCNA?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hmm, I thought the 3500s were newer than the 2950s. I guess I made a mistake. Do you think they will still be good for the CCNA?

I almost did the same thing. 2950/60 and 3550/60 is the newer stuff. 2900/3500 is the older stuff.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 3500 are older. You are confusing them with the 3550/3560 switches.

They are still good if you can deal with the difference in commands. I'd suggest you get some 2950s instead since you are new to the material though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    The 3500 are older. You are confusing them with the 3550/3560 switches.

They are still good if you can deal with the difference in commands. I'd suggest you get some 2950s instead since you are new to the material though.

Bummer... Ah well, I guess they will be going on eBay... icon_sad.gif
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    I ended up with the exact same question, a bunch of commands don't work on that switch, so I'm about to sell it on ebay, I got a 2950 switch now, well two of em but one has issues, if anyone can figure it out(see switch pprob topic) that'd be awesome. BTW on ebay you can get lucky but a lot of these people just power on the switch without checking anything aside from the fact it turnes on, not that you can control it much, but I suggest buying more so from someone who can give you a sh ver
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I did the exact same thing starting out with the 3500's. the VLANs are different and it frustrated me enough to put it on ebay.

however, if you want a cheap production switch, the 3500's are killer.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    it's always been

dir nvram:

and I'm assuming you mean 'show file systems' when you say 'show system'?

As the show system command is usually - show system mtu

:)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    APA wrote: »
    it's always been

dir nvram:

and I'm assuming you mean 'show file systems' when you say 'show system'?

As the show system command is usually - show system mtu

:)

I will have to post the command from my book APA, I am still trying to get use to the commands. It's bringing me back to my DOS and Amateur Radio TNC days. Good Stuff! Beats a GUI any day!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    learning on slightly old equipment isn't the worst thing. Odds are when you get working on production equipment there will be lots of older stuff out there that you don't read about in current Cisco text books.

My last company was still running CatOS on 100s of 6500s. Meanwhile, CCNA material tells you no one uses CatOS and its dead! Heck, I even ran into the old menu based 1900 OS a few times.

Most of the commands will be the same on the 3500, but yes, 2950s are cheap these days and your best bet.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Learning on it isn't bad, but using old stuff to practice for exams is very bad.