Options

Back to Cisco!

ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
Havn't played around with Cisco gear much since the end of January.

Going to start preparing for the BSCI soon.

Plan is to start off with the self study giude and TCp/IP vol 1 first. Move onto the official guide and finish up with CBT and Chris Bryant video lectures.

Woohoo!

Microsoft is not fun..
"There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"

Comments

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    very good. Microsoft is NOT fun! Stay away!

welcome back to the green side. er, turquoise side.
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    Microsoft is not fun..

Welcome back :) It depends on where your interests are I guess. My buddy loves the Microsoft stuff. I found it extremely boring. But I was always more interested in how computers talk to each other.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome back!!! Now hit the books... icon_study.gif LOL!!!! Good luck with your studies...

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Havn't played around with Cisco gear much since the end of January.

Going to start preparing for the BSCI soon.

Plan is to start off with the self study giude and TCp/IP vol 1 first. Move onto the official guide and finish up with CBT and Chris Bryant video lectures.

Woohoo!

Microsoft is not fun..

How I envy you. You're coming out. I've just entered the dark side. I need serious mental readjustment to get through this. I suppose the best way is to focus on getting it done as quickly as possible, so i can be out as early as possible. :)
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Don't forget as well that the exam changes June 23rd, 2010. See here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/47284-ccnp-2010-updates.html

I have to say CBT Nuggets videos and Train Signal with Chris Bryant are pretty good. I have reviewed both in a few areas preparing to take my BCMSN, which is this Thursday.
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I currently find Microsoft more interesting than Cisco, but at one time it was the other way around. I suppose it depends on what you're into at any given time.

One thing is for certain though - you tend to get better compensation for Cisco skills because they are more difficult and more rarely acquired.

At the same time - depending on your work environment - it can pay to be well-rounded.
  • Options
    Yeah, current plan is to complete bsci and bcmsn by the end of June. We'll see what cisco say about the whole thing.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, current plan is to complete bsci and bcmsn by the end of June. We'll see what cisco say about the whole thing.

Yea I'm hoping I can knock out BSCI then just take care of whatever new exams Cisco throws our way.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269

Good plan. I'm going to focus on getting BCMSN out of the way and then re-assess (when more information is available) on whether to do the ISCW/ONT path or TSHOOT path.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    Bit of a change.

Decided to study for the BCMSN first because my company uses some 3560's but no routers so it makes sense.

Started by going through all the ccna topics again, concentrating more on the switching topics.

Have gone through the cbt nuggets for vlan's and stp/rstp. Seemed light on detail. Pretty much the same level as CCNA.

I do remember another poster saying that the cbt nuggets are a good intro, but that's all.

EDIT: Just received my first layer 3 switch! A 3550.

What do people find are the main features the 3550 doesn't support that the 3560 does?
    My company used PVLAN's so that is the most annoying thing for me. Got the 3550 because it's cheaper.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iproute wrote: »
    Welcome back :) It depends on where your interests are I guess. My buddy loves the Microsoft stuff. I found it extremely boring. But I was always more interested in how computers talk to each other.

Just because you may focus more on Microsoft doesn't mean you can't learn how computers talk to each other. I just the same satisfaction from the systems world by figuring out how things talk to each other and exactly what the computer is doing! It's all good in both worlds.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Give me Cisco, and *nix any day. I hate working with MS.
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    EDIT: Just received my first layer 3 switch! A 3550.

What do people find are the main features the 3550 doesn't support that the 3560 does?

GLBP also. I think that and Private Vlans were the only exam topics you could not practice on the 3550.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Amen to that, my man. Especially since they go so well hand in hand. I wonder how many Windows admins know that their ability to communicate over the public internet was derived (to put it politely) from unixland.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    They also have some default behavior differences, but for CCNP theres really nothing you will miss except what Cyanic mentioned. Most people don't even get their hands on a 3550 so you are cookin'
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    They also have some default behavior differences, but for CCNP theres really nothing you will miss except what Cyanic mentioned. Most people don't even get their hands on a 3550 so you are cookin'

Have another one arriving next week. :D

Sucks about PVLAN's and GLBP. My company uses PVLAN's on a couple of their switches but it looks pretty damn misconfigured. I would love to have been able to do testing at home but it looks like I'll just have to study their configs and PVLAN's and do up new config's from theory.

GLBP seems the most interesting of the redundancy protocols with the active/active and all so would have liked to have been able to play with that as well.

I reckon a lot of people fail the BCMSN because of the CBT Nuggets! If the test were just the material in the CBT Nuggets, it'd be easy!

Feeling pretty confident about this exam over all. Studying for the CWNA will help me with some of the wireless topics which seems to be an area a lot of people fall down on.
  • Options
    Got the BCMSN Lab Portfolio today.

My original plan was to go through CBT Nuggets first, then the self-study guide and then the Lab Portfolio.

But, there are certain bits of advice that come up on TE that are just fact, such as "lab, lab, lab" and "repitition".

So with that in mind, what I'm planning to do now is:

1) Finish off the Nuggets
    2) Go through the Lab Portfolio
    3) Go through the Self-Study Guide, and go through the Lab Portfolio guide for the topics I've just completed in the Self-Study guide.
    4) Weak topics from all material as needed.

I also have the official study guide and the ONT official study guide which has some wireless chapters.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Got the BCMSN Lab Portfolio today.

My original plan was to go through CBT Nuggets first, then the self-study guide and then the Lab Portfolio.

But, there are certain bits of advice that come up on TE that are just fact, such as "lab, lab, lab" and "repitition".

So with that in mind, what I'm planning to do now is:

1) Finish off the Nuggets
    2) Go through the Lab Portfolio
    3) Go through the Self-Study Guide, and go through the Lab Portfolio guide for the topics I've just completed in the Self-Study guide.
    4) Weak topics from all material as needed.

I also have the official study guide and the ONT official study guide which has some wireless chapters.

Good luck man. I'm planning on revving up BCMSN study over the next little bit as well. I agree with you, the nuggets make it look easy! (first thing I went through). The lab / reading approach is by far the way to go. Nuggets for a refresh at the end.
  • Options
    Right, so at this stage I've gone through:

CBT Nuggets
    Trainsignal videos
    Authorised self-study guide

The areas I'm weak in are:

Voice (especially classing, queuing, DSCP, CoS etc.)
    Wireless
    STP (especially MST/IST)
    Security (especially DHCP snooping, DAI etc.)

I'll be going through the CCIE CBT Nuggets switching videos, INE CCNP Bootcamp BCMSN videos and the lab portfolio.

Exam booked for May 14th.
  • Options
    Right,

Well I went through the CCIE CBT Nuggets switching videos, INE CCNP Bootcamp BCMSN videos, the lab portfolio guide and the trainsignal videos again.

Just did a Boson exam there which seems way off the level that the actual exam will be. Got 88% which I wasn't happy with.

Still not feeling very confident on some areas like QOS/Voice and some security topics.
  • Options
    sniper_heresniper_here Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome back !! icon_cheers.gif
    Stay away from boring Microsoft icon_thumright.gif hahahahaaaaa
  • Options
    Reviewed configuration for the below:

Port security
    AAA/802.1x
    DHCP snooping
    DAI
    IP source guard
    VACL's
    pVLAN's

Will review RSTP and MSTP tomorrow.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burbankmarc viewpost.gif

Amen to that, my man. Especially since they go so well hand in hand. I wonder how many Windows admins know that their ability to communicate over the public internet was derived (to put it politely) from unixland.

1000 % agree Yuk!
    MS$$ sucks. I mean it is just box jockey stuff. I mean all net engineers really need to know is what protocol and what port it needs rest is software click boxes hear an there. Gui crap. I mean it is nice to understand what they are doing. But after a while the net engineer stuff is the real cake!

Welcome back. Cisco rocks!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote: »
    I mean it is just box jockey stuff.

Without those crappy boxes, you'd have lots of networks to nowhere.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you know very true funny isnt how we need it all.

both are important..I agree. That is kind of funny isnt it.

they are the pay loads arent they.

Like a bunch of roads with no cars to drive on them! ;)

I am just being a wine baby! but yeah I like server junk, just
    so many toys so little time ;)
  • Options
    BCMSN exam tomorrow morning.

Going to go through the "Scenarios for final preparation" chapter of the certification guide tonight.
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck man!

Treat that exam like the Black & Tans :)
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT