Options

How Much Study Time?

MoInSTLMoInSTL Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have had my A+ since 1999 and Network+ since 2002. Both ancient history. I am getting ready to start Security+ . I have no security experience and little networking. I am about to start a training program that is a combination of CBT Nuggets, CompTIA Security+ All-In-One Exam Guide 2nd Edition, lots of hands on labs, testing after each section before moving on to next section, onsite instructors. It seems like a fairly well rounded program. I will also check out various free practice sites/resources.

I am interested in knowing if anyone else who has a similar background how much time it took to learn before feeling comfortable taking the exam? I realize everyone is different, I am just looking for the time it takes in general.

Thanks in advance!
Just started 70-290.

Comments

• Options
    lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After about a solid 4-5 weeks of studying I felt ready to test. I took another week or so to cram to the point I could quote the examcram book.

Just don't get frustrated when you hit a topic that doesnt make sense.
    A good understanding of the TCP/IP stack and OSI model would help.

Just take it one concept at a time and put some muscle memory with it (labs) to reinforce what you've learned.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to add that in addition to the other training & labs there is also CBT.

I'm not crazy about the OSI model but I have been exposed to it somewhat when I was studying for Network+. Same for TCP/IP.

I was already thinking about 4-6 weeks. You post helped reinforce that. Thanks!
    Just started 70-290.
  • Options
    I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started the studying in mid-august and did the exam Oct.1

I used the Sybex book (read it cover to cover)and other resources on the web. I re-read a lot of subjects to make sure I fully understood the concepts.

the test is tricky but if you know your stuff you'll be fine.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MoInSTL wrote: »
    I'm not crazy about the OSI model but I have been exposed to it somewhat when I was studying for Network+. Same for TCP/IP.

The OSI model will never disappear if you plan on doing Network Administration or Systems Administration. It's something you really should know inside and out.
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    For me it will be about 3 months between the Network+ and Security+. (Mainly studying for an hour to two a few evenings a week, sometimes longer on the weekends)

I was going to take the Sec+ today, but felt I needed a little more studying, so I am taking it in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    The OSI model will never disappear if you plan on doing Network Administration or Systems Administration. It's something you really should know inside and out.

I'm not crazy about it because I don't know it forward and backwards yet. I am guessing for the Security+ exam I will have a thorough knowledge when I am finished. ATM I can only recall the saying to help memorize the layers and their names. Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. Hey, it's been 7 years. :)
    Just started 70-290.
  • Options
    MoInSTL wrote: »
    I'm not crazy about it because I don't know it forward and backwards yet. I am guessing for the Security+ exam I will have a thorough knowledge when I am finished. ATM I can only recall the saying to help memorize the layers and their names. Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. Hey, it's been 7 years. :)

I remember it as All People Seem To Need Data Processing lol

For the security plus you will need to know this like what layer IP works at, what later does SSL work at, etc.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I remember it as "A priest saw two nuns doing push-ups":)

SSL... Starts with an "S". Session layer starts with an "S"

That would be easy to remember if SSL operated on the Session layer...

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Out of all I've seen, Paul's is my favorite:
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Princess
    Diana
    Never
    Thought
    She'd
    Pancake
    Asphalt
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember the OSI as

Please
    Do
    Not
    Throw
    Sausage
    Pizza
    Away
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I just remember it. I win. :)

OP: I spent a few months on Security+
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    I thought someone may respond to this, but for clarification, SSL does operate on the Session layer (Both SSL and Session start with an S). And TLS operates on the Transport layer (Both start with a T).

If you learn the OSI model inside out, you'll know this stuff as well as your ABCs, but if you're not so close to the OSI model, a few memory techniques certainly help.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    Darril wrote: »

SSL... Starts with an "S". Session layer starts with an "S"

That would be easy to remember if SSL operated on the Session layer...
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought someone may respond to this, but for clarification, SSL does operate on the Session layer (Both SSL and Session start with an S). And TLS operates on the Transport layer (Both start with a T).

If you learn the OSI model inside out, you'll know this stuff as well as your ABCs, but if you're not so close to the OSI model, a few memory techniques certainly help.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson

SSL is one of those protocols that does not fit cleanly into one or other layer of the beloved OSI model. The debates rage on :) I should add that things can become even more confused when people confuse the DoD and OSI models layer definitions.

Network Security: Detailed info on [CISSP-D] Re: SSL/TLS - Where in the OSI model?
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Just as you state, it's one of those protocols that doesn't fit neatly in the OSI model. It is simplistic to state that it operates on the Session layer.

"What layer does SSL operate on?" It really doesn't seem like a fair question to ask. However, too many students came back to me asking me that question after taking the test. When teaching Security+ classes now, I suggest the following strategy if asked what layer SSL operates on.

1) Look for Session layer and pick it first.
    2) If Session layer is not listed, look for Transport.
    3) If asked what what two layers SSL operates between, look for session and Transport.

The strategy seems to be working.

Darril Gibson

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead[/url]

twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Turgon wrote: »
    SSL is one of those protocols that does not fit cleanly into one or other layer of the beloved OSI model. The debates rage on :) I should add that things can become even more confused when people confuse the DoD and OSI models layer definitions.

Network Security: Detailed info on [CISSP-D] Re: SSL/TLS - Where in the OSI model?
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Just as you state, it's one of those protocols that doesn't fit neatly in the OSI model. It is simplistic to state that it operates on the Session layer.

"What layer does SSL operate on?" It really doesn't seem like a fair question to ask. However, too many students came back to me asking me that question after taking the test. When teaching Security+ classes now, I suggest the following strategy if asked what layer SSL operates on.

1) Look for Session layer and pick it first.
    2) If Session layer is not listed, look for Transport.
    3) If asked what what two layers SSL operates between, look for session and Transport.

The strategy seems to be working.

Darril Gibson

www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Will TLS always be at the transport layer or can that be session too?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    abefroman wrote: »

TLS is essentially SSL. SSL is actually a Netscape technology and TLS was developed as a standard (though there are improvements in TLS over SSL).
  • Options
    TLS is Transport Layer Security and was designed to operate on the Transport Layer. I have not come across anything in my studies that indicates Transport Layer Security operates on any other layer than the Transport Layer.

Just as Dynamik alludes, TLS is designed as a replacement for SSL. I've actually been reading for many years now that TLS will replace SSL. However, it says a lot for the developers of SSL that SSL has lasted as long as it has. SSL works and works well.

Darril Gibson

www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog

twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    abefroman wrote: »