Options

Discounted MS exams - use by 12/31/09

Was on MS site looking to find last minute study material to supplement current material for 70-647 when I came across this page. Nice little perk for those looking to take one of these exams by the end of the year.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/offers/Career.aspx#certification
The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes

Comments

• Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    drainey wrote: »
    Was on MS site looking to find last minute study material to supplement current material for 70-647 when I came across this page. Nice little perk for those looking to take one of these exams by the end of the year.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/offers/Career.aspx#certification

Yup, I was able to use 3 of those in the last few months. I passed 647 yesterday. It's a good exam. Go git 'em!
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    Yup, I was able to use 3 of those in the last few months. I passed 647 yesterday. It's a good exam. Go git 'em!

As for difficulty, how much harder would you say is it than the Windows Server 2003 test? Is there tons of new information?
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    I took two exams to upgrade from W2K to W2K3, the 292 (MCSA) and 296 (MCSE). The 292 was pretty hard, the 296 was ridiculously hard. A couple years ago I was listening to a Microsoft audiocast wherein they were talking about the new certification tracks for W2K8, and they mentioned that a lot of people had a hard time with W2K3 upgrade exams, not passing on the first try. They said the W2K8 track wouldn't be as difficult.

One thing that was hard with the W2K3 exams is the length and amount of material in the questions - long questions, lots of details. The W2K8 track definitely has shorter questions, although a few here and there contain a lot of details.

I would sum up by saying the W2K8 upgrade exams were a little easier than W2K3 was. However, there are more exams required - instead of one each as for MCSA/MCSE, there's a total of four to get to SA & EA.

Now, I'll also say this: if you use the MS-Press kits, do all the stuff at the end of the chapters, do the Measure Ups, and use TechNet to fill in the details on your weak areas, you should be in great shape to pass on the first try. The exams focus heavily on the new technology in W2K8.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Cool, thanks for the info. If it focuses primarily on the new technology I may try and go for it sometime in the spring. Hopefully I'll have my 2003 MCSE by then. Because as with the Server 2003 exam, there was a lot of NT and 2000 server questions and about 12 simulations. I had feared there'd be all previous server compatibilities issues to know about. But yeah I do understand that shorter questions don't always mean easier questions, but it's really good to know that.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Hi,

I'm looking to do the 70-648 In early 2010.

The offer states: "Customers must register, schedule, and purchase their discounted exams by December 31, 2009"

Has anyone scheduled the exam say for January / Feb 2010 yet?

The statement does not say that you have to take the exam just schedule it :)

Any thoughts?