Options

135K viruses on 1 PC ???

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
Yes, 135, 000 viruses on 1 computer. ;( And I thought 9K was the max for my network :)
We recently moved to a new antivirus, and i suspected that those 10K and 135K machines did not have any antivirus installed on them.

Time to kick some a$$.

Comments

• Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    LOL that is ridiculous....
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should just reformat the HDD.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    exampasser wrote: »
    You just reformat the HDD.

1800234736_7861106fbe.jpg?v=0
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is no OS Type icon_rolleyes.gif
    What does the machine actual do?

//edit:except of collecting viruses :P
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    With that many hits I would think someone was purposely storing a Malware collection on that box. Were most of the positives in only a few folders or in several ZIP or RAR files? That would indicate someone may have purposely downloaded them as Malware collections from Web sites or P2P networks.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You sure that's not picked up another antivirus' signature database on that machine ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    You sure that's not picked up another antivirus' signature database on that machine ?
    That's a very interesting idea, but I've had multiple A/V's running on a single machine and they never had that sort of false positive problem with each other's lists. Maybe a decrypted A/V signature file was downloaded to the machine; the A/V would show all 135K hits were from that one file. Or maybe it's just 135K EICAR files. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WTF anti virus protection are you running? Norton? lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    WTF anti virus protection are you running? Norton? lol

LOL. norton. ahem. SUCKS.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    haha, legend!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That's a very interesting idea, but I've had multiple A/V's running on a single machine and they never had that sort of false positive problem with each other's lists. Maybe a decrypted A/V signature file was downloaded to the machine; the A/V would show all 135K hits were from that one file. Or maybe it's just 135K EICAR files. icon_lol.gif

I've seen this a few times where two AVs go head to head and the machine is practically unusable as they battle it out.
    Kam.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    That workstation is used by library personnel and students alike. We suspect that some staff member was using it to download illegal software/movies and songs on it.

JDMurray

With that many hits I would think someone was purposely storing a Malware collection on that box. Were most of the positives in only a few folders or in several ZIP or RAR files? That would indicate someone may have purposely downloaded them as Malware collections from Web sites or P2P networks.

I have this happen before but never in this quantity yet. This usually happens when an anti-virus can not totaly clean the malware and leaves out some start-up files. And after the reboot the malware installs itself all over again.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    LOL. norton. ahem. SUCKS.
    Norton, the world's largest resource hog lol.