Options

Softphones do not register, normal phones do?!?

Polly_31Polly_31 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I set up a new CCVP lab at home with a Cisco 2610XM router (incl. CME 4.1) and connected two 7960 Cisco Voip Phone plus two Cisco IP Communicator 7 on two different Computers

I configured all 4 phones on the Router with the name, extenstion and mac address. When starting up the two 7960 connect to my T.F.T.P. server, download the image and register with CME (The debug command on the router shows all fine)

When starting up the softphones, I cant see any activity on the router debug, nor the T.F.T.P. Server that something tries to connect?!? The phones only stay with the msg. Defaulting to T.F.T.P. and thats it. In the status info on the softphones, I can see a "T.F.T.P. error" but no exact description appart from that.

As from googeling I saw that those phones also dont need a Firmware, so I didnt use the load command on the router for them, only set them up as ephone 4 and ephone 5 with the MAC and specified them as CIPC

Router(config)# ephone-dn 4
Router(config-ephone-dn)# number 1004
Router(config-ephone-dn)# name SoftPhone4

Router(config)# ephone 4
Router(config-ephone)# mac-address HHHH.HHHH.HHHH
Router(config-ephone)# type cipc

Does anybody know why the softphones do not register?

Ciscos troubleshooting steps say that I should confirm option 150 which I did with the command "option 150 ip 192.168.1.102" on my router (.102 is my T.F.T.P. server)

In the Communicator Settings I have set:
"Network" Adapter: Broadcom10/100...
Network: T.F.T.P. server 192.168.102

"User" left it blank but also tried it with username and password of the CME GUI

I only installed the CiscoIPCommunicatorSetup.exe or do I need any additional files?

Once again, the two hard phones register fine...

Many Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Can you ping the CME interface from the PCs running IPC?

Also, may want to try an older version - I had problems with v7 in my old lab but v2.1 worked fine.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Hi there,

Thanks for replying!

Yes I can confirm that I can ping the CME from the PC and back

Also I tried Version 2.0 but also that didnt solve the issue icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Same IP for T.F.T.P/CME, or are you using an external T.F.T.P server?
  • Options
    Hiya,
    The setup is as followed:

T.F.T.P. Server
    IP: 192.168.1.102 / 255.255.255.0 GW: 192.168.1.1

CME
    IP: 192.168.1.105 / 255.255.255.0 GW: 192.168.1.1

PC with IP COmmunicator 7
    IP: 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 GW: 192.168.1.1
    Under Option "Network/T.F.T.P. Server" --> 192.168.1.102
    Under Option "User" --> User/Password is empty
    Under Option "Directories" is empty

Thanks
  • Options
    Try hardcoding the T.F.T.P address on the CIPC client to 192.168.1.105 - Then on the CME box type the following (just to be safe):

telephony-service
    create cnf-files

Then restart CIPC...
  • Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for your last msg.

I tried now the following:
    Install IP Communicator on the same PC as the T.F.T.P server and use the option "Use default T.F.T.P. server" - nothing happens and the phone application does not register

BUT.... If I hardcode the IP of the T.F.T.P. server 192.168.1.105 and restart the application I get straight away the msg: "Cant connect/find T.F.T.P. server"?!? icon_confused.gif:

That is somehow strange, as the application runs on the actual T.F.T.P. server itself, and cant connect to it?!
    I'm just wondering why Hardphones can register fine? icon_rolleyes.gif

PS: I can ping from the T.F.T.P. Server (Windows 7) the CME and other way round

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    The soft phones are probably looking for their configs which should be on the CME box - use the CME IP address for the T.F.T.P server on the IP Communicator clients and see if they connect.

CME by default uses its own T.F.T.P services to serve up the configs. Example below, note that the actual configs for each phone are squirreled away in the local file system:

tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP0015C54BE7D4.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP000BDBD210BE.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP0019B910225A.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP0019B923A4A3.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP001C2311D403.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7941.cnf.xml alias SEP001EF72A4973.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7941.cnf.xml alias SEP001FCAE88CC0.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7970.cnf.xml alias SEP001646BD81AB.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefault7941.cnf.xml alias SEP001FCAE88CD1.cnf.xml
    tftp-server system:/its/XMLDefaultCIPC.cnf.xml alias SEP005056C00001.cnf.xml

If you do a "show telephony-service all" you'll see the configs - If you run Wireshark on the PC running CIPC client then you should see the file requests.
  • Options
    Wow.... You are great!!!

I tried this and it works now for a 3rd party Software called VTGO Light from IP blue Software Solutions to make phone calls between the phones and registeres fine icon_cheers.gif

I'm still havening problems with the IP Communicator, that it cant register, but think it might be quite close, but not sure why?!

Could it be the version of CME 4.1 I have?
    There is an option, cant recall it now, where it opens the IP address/ccme.html
    This retourns in an error as I dont have a CCME.html under sh flash
    There is only a Telephone_service.html which I use to configure the router

Would be great if you have any further thoughts.

Again the VTGO softphone works and I tried allready all possible compinasions of IPs for the T.F.T.P. server (Windows 7 PC and CME Router)?

Thanks,
    Chris