Options

New LCD monitor- NEED HELP

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just purchased a new LCD monitor to replace my old CRT. When I unplugged the old monitor and plugged the new one in, it installed as a 2nd monitor under display properties -> settings. I tried setting it as a primary monitor and it did not work.

I then tried uninstalling my display adapters and reinstalling them but when they reinstall it gets install twice thinking there is 2 monitors. Monitor 1 under display properties -> settings says its Plug and Play monitor on Radeon 9600 series. Monitor 2 (my LCD) says (Default Monitor) on Radeon 9600 series-Secondary.

Any advice on how to get my display to see only one monitor with my radeon adapter looking at only my lcd monitor would be apprciated

Thanks Josh

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I would try starting in safe mode, or vga mode, and uninstall the video card(s) and the monitor(s) (make sure they are gone in Device Manager)
    and then restart the system and pray it finds only one card and one monitor. If the problem doesn't go away, you might want to try the manfacturer's website and check if it is perhaps a common problem with that card.
  • Options
    will do

THANKS
  • Options
    i uninstalled the display adapter in safe mode and boot up regulary to download the newest driver and i recieve the found new hardware detection message. The only problem with this is that it said it found both a video controller and video controller(VGA compatible). I do not know why my graphics card is being detected twice. I did not give me this problem until I got a new monitor. I'm going to try calling the manufacturer. Please reply if anyone can think of anything else.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Have you tried removing the monitor in Device Manager?
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You could try this uninstaller from ATI. It will remove all traces of ATI files from your system. Do this in safe mode, then remove the monitor again before you reboot. Windows should auto detect just the LCD. Let Windows find and use it's own driver at first, then run the ATI driver program. It will replace the generic drivers with the right ones. Also, if you're card has two ports, it will always show two adapters, one for each monitor in a dual setup.
    i remain, he who remains to be....