xbox mw2 lan 2950 catalysts

SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110
I am using my lab I was studying for CCNA to network people so they can play xbox or modern warfare 2!! Might as well put the switches to good use havent studied lately....

I have two catalyst 2950's switches.

on switch A i have 2 users

on switch B i have 3 users

switch A and B are seperated by 200 ft

I have switch A and B connected with a crossover cable ( i used the gigabit pinout but i dont think that should matter)... all ports are green

the users on switch A can see all the users on that switch when a user hosts a game on that particular switch

the users on switch B can see all the users on that switch...when a user hosts a game on that particular switch

but i guess the switch to switch cable is not broadcasting the info... do i need to throw a router into the mix and assign some IP addresses?

Or do i need to setup a seperate VLAN...or make a trunk port?

any ideas on how i can make switch A and switch B see each other so they can play ....

sorry for the lameness i need to get back to my CCNA studies.. :P

Comments

• SatcomSatcom Member Posts: 110
    Port Trunking

Good luck!

thanks hope it works

i went into the switch

config t
    int fa0/1
    switchport mode trunk

the crossover cable is hooked to fa0/1 on botch switches.. i am going to run this command on both switches without setting encapsulation... i hope it works!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Satcom wrote: »
    i am going to run this command on both switches without setting encapsulation...

Why not?
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Why not?
    i guessed the switches were using a default encapsulation.. or would auto-negotiate .. that was my reasoning.

anyhow.. the game is not being broadcasted to the other switch..... i guess i will play around with VLAN commands some more until i get this ironed out.. or just place 1 switch in between the two sets of players... and run cable to one switch for simplicity
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 2950 only supports dot1q, so there isn't a trunk encapsulation command.

You don't have to have a trunk between the two switches for it to work. What you do need is for all the access ports to be in the same VLAN and for the ports connecting the two switches to either be trunking or in the same VLAN as the access ports. You may want to clear the configuration on the switches and reload them to make sure there isn't some errant command messing with your setup.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    The 2950 only supports dot1q, so there isn't a trunk encapsulation command.

You don't have to have a trunk between the two switches for it to work. What you do need is for all the access ports to be in the same VLAN and for the ports connecting the two switches to either be trunking or in the same VLAN as the access ports. You may want to clear the configuration on the switches and reload them to make sure there isn't some errant command messing with your setup.

ok will try these steps (on both switches)

write erase
    reload

if i remember correctly from my studies all the access ports should be set to vlan1 by default so i should not need to change anything... this should be a plug n play affair on both switches using the appropriate crossover cable for the switch to switch connection and of course straight through from switch to XBOX

if this doesnt work i will set all the access ports to vlan 2 including the port that connects the two switches and see if this resolves anything

again thanks for the help people...

if this doesnt work... im going to the one switch configuration and calling it a day! icon_lol.gif
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you want to clear the VLAN configuration you need to use:
    delete flash:vlan.dat

VLAN configuration is stored separately from the regular switch configuration.

EDIT: Though this isn't really necessary since wr erase will reset all the ports to VLAN1.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    If you want to clear the VLAN configuration you need to use:
    delete flash:vlan.dat

VLAN configuration is stored separately from the regular switch configuration.

yeah ... i think that is where the problem is i cant mess with it now because the other switch is in a room and they took off to sleep already...

ah.. ill get this in the morning

thanks for the help people..... !
  • 1number91number9 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    trunking shouldnt matter because unless you modified the switches all the ports are on vlan1 anyways. but make sure the ip address are on the same subnet.