Options

BSCI Status Report

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, I am not a big network guy so slow and steady has been my goal with the CCNP all the way.

1) I read everything in the Official Exam certification guide, twice except the multicast and Ipv6 stuff. I am saving that for last.

2) Watched Cbtnuggets at least 3 times working through every example, including the Ipv6/multicast stuff

3) I have worked through every lab in the Lab guide. Except the Ipv6/multicast stuff. Once by the book, the second time from memory and goofing around break fixing the setup.

4) I also lightly read the Exam Cram guide for the previous version of the exam.

I did all the pre-test in the Cisco Press book and Exam cram and rounded out somewhere in the mid 80% most the time.

At this time, I am at about 100 hours in.

I still need to work through Multicast and IPv6. So far though, I dont think I am well prepared though for the sims. It was my experience from the CCNA the lab guides simply are not going to cover what will be in the sim. Any recommendations (cheap) for dealing with more advanced and troubleshooting scenerios? How about for review? I have a stack of 1,100 flash cards, but I am sure I need more broad exposure.

Thanks in advance,
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you read the Cisco Press BSCI Authorized Self-Study Guide 3rd Edition? That's the book covers the foundation knowledge -- and that should give you enough knowledge to laugh at the sims if you're doing lab work as you study.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I did do the Cisco academy stuff on this too, and when I looked at the self study and compared it to the Exam book, it just seemed like a lot of cross over. Like i was buying the same book twice.

I can always read it on safari I suppose. But you think it's worth doing?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Damn dude, that's impressive. I've read the BCMSN book once and made it about a quarter through Transcender. I think you're in the lead here ;)

Keep up the good work icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what cheap for you is, but I've been able to get lucky on ebay once or twice for getting actual equipment. The last time I managed to grab ten 2501's for under $300, which included the Shipping/Handling...To ALASKA!

I also managed to grab a 2511 Access Server from a guy who thought it was some unimportant switch for about $175 (again, including shipping/handling to Alaska), which was brand new other than a faulty power supply. It even came with both octal cables! I'm still working on getting a proper power supply for it, but it's a small price to pay rather than buying new equipment.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    Not bad on the hardware costs there. Not too worried on that though. GNS3 has been great, and I have a nice stock of routers at home and work.

More trying to find legit questions and labs I can run. Things that make you think or analyze something you only half knew before. e.g. I've setup BGP now... 5-6 times. Messed with it for hours. Ran everything in the lab guide more than once. But I hardly think I could troubleshoot an issue of scenerio in a timed lab.

Figure, I failed the CCNA twice, hardly passed my CCNA when I did and did alright on my CCNA:Sec, but nearly ran out of time on the lab. So over all, I just need more hands on challenges. But repeating the same thing over and over ain't helping much. Soo... I just keep playing games. Not sure the CCNP is gonna work out for me. I might go do some linux or something.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you been running all the related debugs? I see people recommend doing that to really get a feel for how things work under the hood. I'd imagine that would really hone your troubleshooting skills.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Have you been running all the related debugs? I see people recommend doing that to really get a feel for how things work under the hood. I'd imagine that would really hone your troubleshooting skills.

+1

I usually keep the debugs going in all my labs. That way you know what it is actually doing when you put those commands in and its not just some network magic. Once you know what the router is actually doing and what its looking to receive when its working you will know whats missing when its not working.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Alright, I re-give up. I am throwing in the CCNP towel for now, just not enough experience. Some interesting stuff I learned, but it's just not applicable to what I do. (SMB support)

I think just keep it on the back burner until the new version comes out next year. Maybe update my Microsoft certs in the mean time. Maybe knock out 70-620 for a morale boost?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Alright, I re-give up. I am throwing in the CCNP towel for now, just not enough experience. Some interesting stuff I learned, but it's just not applicable to what I do. (SMB support)

I think just keep it on the back burner until the new version comes out next year. Maybe update my Microsoft certs in the mean time. Maybe knock out 70-620 for a morale boost?

Well, I suppose you at least picked the right time to drop it. (Before you scheduled the test.)
    Either way, good luck with your future endeavors.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    +1

I usually keep the debugs going in all my labs. That way you know what it is actually doing when you put those commands in and its not just some network magic. Once you know what the router is actually doing and what its looking to receive when its working you will know whats missing when its not working.

+2

when I'm chaning someting in a lab. Debugs are always run on the other router to watch the change.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related