Options

Promotion!!

I finally approved for my promotion. I am thankful for the fact that in today's economy that I am able to be rewarded for all my hard work. I moved from a level 1 associate to a level 2 analyst, with more than a 10% raise.

They changed the promotion process, rather than just rubber stamping everyone to the next level every year, you have to demonstrate that you are working at the higher level. Everyone who is up for a promotion gets put into a review package which goes all the way to the VP level. It was slim pickings for the number of people approved.

It has been a year since my last performance review when I first brought this up. A few months ago my manager told me that he can't tell me anything, but that if he didn't tell me something he was afraid he was going to lose me.

My work changed a few months ago from log monitoring and vulnerability scanning to tier one CIRT work including reviewing and acting upon IDS alerts and a special project to reduce and eliminate the existence of P2P on our network. I will be reviewing more IDS alerts as well as taking over the CIRT hotline and mailbox in the new year.

Woot!
-un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Congratulations on the promotion. I bet it feels better to have to earn it than to have it automatically given after xxx amount of time icon_cheers.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    congrats !! well done :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the promotion!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's sweet dude! Are you putting the IH to good use?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    dynamik wrote: »
    That's sweet dude! Are you putting the IH to good use?

IH is ramping up. Right now my IH is limited in that I work very specific measurable and actionable items, like Conficker, P2P, and SSH running on a non standard port. My position will continue to evolve as the new year progresses.

I've all ready been transferred into the tier 1 CIRT team (they pay my salary, training, and travel to meet the rest of the team), but still managed functionally by my manager.

Things are progressing well enough to keep me happy. :)
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome. I'm sure it was well deserved.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your congrats. It also turns out that in addition to the promotion and raise, I got the highest I can get on my performance review. Since my company believes in paying for performance, in three months the review will turn into cold hard cash.
    -un

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for your congrats. It also turns out that in addition to the promotion and raise, I got the highest I can get on my performance review. Since my company believes in paying for performance, in three months the review will turn into cold hard cash.

nice, i wish my company did that.
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    nice, i wish my company did that.

I'm lucky to be with my company. I thank <insert deity of your choice here> every day! They pay for my school, additional training, certification attempts, study material for certifications, and even membership dues for professional organizations.
    -un

• Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • Options
    A quick update. We are just now learning what our merit increases are and I just got another 7%. The combination of my promotion and 5 out of 5 rating, really helped. It was reiterated that the company pays for performance, even in the face of work force reductions/lay-offs.
    -un

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats. Nice to see hard work paying off!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security