Options

mike meyers AIO

chanrattchanratt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have the mike all in one passport 3rd edition which is for the 602 exams. i know this is outdated but can't find one that is updated for the new exams. is reading this book in preparation for the new exams a waste of time? as to be quite honest I don't really have $60 right now to spend on a new study guide

Comments

• Options
    RumpelRumpel Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn`t say it`s a waste of time.
    I`m currently reading it as I`d have thought the basics are the same with new technology such as Blu-ray added and any dated material removed.
    Download the exam objectives and compare.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    chanratt wrote: »
    i have the mike all in one passport 3rd edition which is for the 602 exams. i know this is outdated but can't find one that is updated for the new exams. is reading this book in preparation for the new exams a waste of time? as to be quite honest I don't really have $60 right now to spend on a new study guide

The Passport series are GREAT books, but they are geared toward folks who merely need a review.

Honestly, investing $60ish dollars (look to Amazon or Alibris for used books to spend less on the AIO or see if your Library has a copy) isn't very much to invest in your own training.

If you do not desire to spend money, the Objectives are free to download from CompTIA and you can find ALL the information from various sources across the web at little to no cost (minus your time).

Think of it like this...
    When a person does home improvements and they want to list their home on the market as 'improved' then they needed to have paid for the permits/etc.. for their community to reap the benefit of said improvements (and yes, that means some taxes). But the benefit from the investment outways the tax in the long run.

Likewise, when you invest in yourself (education) you add to the value of your resume (not maybe so initially with A+, but as you gain experience and other certifications you will).

So your measly $60 investment today, should yield you a better return in the next 3-5 years (unless you do nothing with your knowledge). ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The Passport series are GREAT books, but they are geared toward folks who merely need a review.

Honestly, investing $60ish dollars (look to Amazon or Alibris for used books to spend less on the AIO or see if your Library has a copy) isn't very much to invest in your own training.

If you do not desire to spend money, the Objectives are free to download from CompTIA and you can find ALL the information from various sources across the web at little to no cost (minus your time).

Think of it like this...
    When a person does home improvements and they want to list their home on the market as 'improved' then they needed to have paid for the permits/etc.. for their community to reap the benefit of said improvements (and yes, that means some taxes). But the benefit from the investment outways the tax in the long run.

Likewise, when you invest in yourself (education) you add to the value of your resume (not maybe so initially with A+, but as you gain experience and other certifications you will).

So your measly $60 investment today, should yield you a better return in the next 3-5 years (unless you do nothing with your knowledge). ;)

thanks guys. yes i intend to get the study guide, in the next month or two. I just wanted to know if my current book would tie me over until then. but thanks for the replies. i will have a look at the obj's.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    A good pkace to check for good study materials is your local library as well. It is surprising sometimes how much good study materials they have available.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude, don't underestimate your library. Our local library offers Safari accounts at no charge at all. Heck, I don't even think they even check if you are resident.

www.aclibrary.gov
    -Daniel
  • Options
    yeah i did at check at a couple of libraries and the stuff they had was 'way' outdated. i'll look around a couple more tomorrow