Options

Need some help with an Exercise

rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm using the MS-Press, 70-291 - Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure, 2nd Edition.

I need some direction, as I'm not seeing the expected six subdomains in Exercise 2, Lesson 1, Chapter 5.

On step 3, when I expand Computer1, Forward Lookup Zones, and the Domain1.local nodes -- I only see A records for Computer1 & Computer2, that I previously created. No subdomains that were supposed to be created after installing Active Directory.

The only issue I saw when installing AD, was a complaint during the DNS Registration Diagnostics. The diag failed and it looked like it was due to Dynamic Updates not being allowed during the previous DNS install.

Did anyone using this book have a similar experience? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DNS set up correctly and does the server have a static IP? Check the DNS logs. I'd also restart the netlogon service.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    devilockdevilock Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I did this exam 2 weeks ago and went through most of the labs in the book you are working through, it all worked as expected when I went through it...

you are missing the SRV records created when Active Directory is installed..

if you follow the troubleshooting lab 5-78 it might help fix the problem
    (the lab's aim is to fix faulty AD installations)

hope it works icon_cool.gif
    MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, now studying for 70-284
  • Options
    rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon, Devilock,

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll take a look at all of them.

Devilock, I'll take a look at that lab when I get home. I wonder if the aim of the lesson was to create a faulty AD/DNS environment. If so, ya think they might have said so! icon_study.gif

I kinda look at these things as an opportunity to dig into the nitty gritty a little deeper. I also found this link on Technet today.

Domain subfolders missing from forward lookup zone

I'll let you know how this all turns out.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fully came prepared to offer advice on bench pressing or some other form of workout. Leaving disappointed icon_sad.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Fully came prepared to offer advice on bench pressing or some other form of workout. Leaving disappointed icon_sad.gif

Same here. I thought I would get to demonstrate my vast Jazzercise knowledge. :-/
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    devilockdevilock Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rhauser44 : I'm not sure which fix will get it working, let us know which one(s) do

I normally like to delve deeper but I'm desperately trying to finish my MCSA
    and get the Exchange Server exam done before Christmas so my head is thinking more
    of that than 70-291....icon_wink.gif
    MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, now studying for 70-284
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    devilock wrote: »
    rhauser44 : I'm not sure which fix will get it working, let us know which one(s) do

I normally like to delve deeper but I'm desperately trying to finish my MCSA
    and get the Exchange Server exam done before Christmas so my head is thinking more
    of that than 70-291....icon_wink.gif

Cool, I too am trying to get my MCSA done before Christmas. I chose ISA 2004 as my elective and hopefully by the end of next week I can be ready for the exam. Good luck with Exchange, and keep in mind a lot of test centers will may not have testing the week of Christmas so schedule soon :D
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....