Options

IIS Thoughts

gocubsgocubs Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I saw that Microsoft was doing the student discounts so I was trying to figure out a way to get a student ID. I live about 5 miles from the community college here and I realized I could take a couple classes there to grab an id since theyre like $50 an hour. I have everything but a semester done towards a batchelors in english but left about 6 years ago to do web design and stuff and havnet looked back. My question was that with all my credits already I'd only need about 2 semesters worth of classes to get an IIS, which seems like it would be worth it? I'm currently just doing contract web design and self studying my MCSE so I wanted to see if anyone thought this sounded like a good idea, if it would benefit me etc...it would obviously be a degree on my resume. Any thoughts positive/negative I would appreciate. Thanks!
So Far: A+, MCDST, MCITP:Vista Supporting

2010 Plans: MCSE:M+S and CCNA

Studying: AAS in Networking and Security

Comments

• Options
    no one has any thoughts on this.

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You mean an AAS?

While it wouldnt be as good as a bachelors, i think anything is better than a HSD/GED
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, I think you're confusing IIS with something else.
  • Options
    sorry yes I mistyped that, it's an AAS in ISS information systems security.

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gocubs wrote: »
    ... done towards a batchelors in english but left about 6 years ago to do web design and stuff and havnet looked back.
    I know you're new here so consider this your hazing...

I think you made the right choice! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though.... I think your idea sounds like a good one. I'd love to go back to school if I could.
  • Options
    I know you're new here so consider this your hazing...

I think you made the right choice! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though.... I think your idea sounds like a good one. I'd love to go back to school if I could.

i posted this at like 6am after not having power all night b/c of a storm and not being able to sleep icon_sad.gif haze away!

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Give him a break, he's a Cubs fan, he's suffered enough. icon_lol.gif

Anyway, transferring the credits to get an AAS is fine. I actually did something similar... I transfered GE credits I earned for a BS at a university to a community college to get an AS in CIS. One problem I ran into was that not all the GE courses transferred, so I still had to take several in addition to the core CIS courses. That was for an AS, though, so maybe it will be less of a problem for an AAS since it has fewer requirements.

The other problem I faced was that the process of transferring the credits took months... after submitting my transcripts, I had to have them evaluated, which IIRC had like a 4-5 month wait, then I had to get an advising appointment (another month). This probably varies by school, though.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you're so close, I'd try to finish up your BA/BS if I were you. You can then go on to a masters that's more in line with what you want to do.