Options

Google Public DNS

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
Google are running a set of public DNS servers which anybody can use. They claim that the logs aren't correlated with any other data like search results but it does contain some geolocation data and your ISPs AS.

They won't do SiteFinder type things or filtering of results either.

It is very easy to remember the IPs though for Google Public DNS. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Comments

• Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Cool! I think I'm gonna try this out.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty cool, but I'm somewhat leery of using a major search engine's DNS. I'm not saying there's a problem with it, but the possibility of manipulating queries based on geographic location, type of page being redirected, etc, just bothers me. I'm still using the DNS that the former ISP I worked for runs. There was a big discussion on the NANOG mailing list a few weeks ago about the potential for abuse in ISP and search engine DNS.

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, I just don't necessarily agree with some of the possibilities.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security has been doing this for quite awhile.

I have much lower latency to OpenDNS's servers from my area. I run my own DNS though.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security has been doing this for quite awhile.

I'm a big fan...
  • Options
    I run my own DNS server so my local network addresses actually resolve properly. It was running in standalone but I changed it to forward to my ISPs DNS servers.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    I run my own DNS server so my local network addresses actually resolve properly. It was running in standalone but I changed it to forward to my ISPs DNS servers.

I started running my own DNS because of my ISPs DNS servers. So they do forwarding to OpenDNS when required.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I'm a big fan...

I don't like the fact OpenDNS doesn't give negative responses to queries it can't resolve. It's great otherwise, but that kills it for me.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I don't like the fact OpenDNS doesn't give negative responses to queries it can't resolve. It's great otherwise, but that kills it for me.
    I thought you can turn that off?