CCNA - Element K

buemae808buemae808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone has ever used Element K to prepare for their CCNA. I know someone who is currently using it to study for their CCNA but I have never used it so I was just wondering about the quality of their material.

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I do know that EC-Council uses them as a delivery mechanism for at least one of their exams. I got my Security|5 training material through them,I did well. For CCNA training, I suggest taking a look at the CCNA Study group over on Cisco learning network, people often post about the materials they use to study, and what they found to be the best for them.https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/groups/ccna-study-group

I will tell you personally, avoid CCNA for Dummies. I usually like their books, but don't purchase that book.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have used element K and found their stuff to be very solid
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I got my Security|5

I have never heard of Security|5, what type of security certification is it?
  • xxdrexxxxdrexx Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    buemae808 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has ever used Element K to prepare for their CCNA. I know someone who is currently using it to study for their CCNA but I have never used it so I was just wondering about the quality of their material.

I got access to the elementk stuff through IEEE.

The elementk ICND1 cbt is pretty decent, but I wouldn't use it as your only study guide. The ICND2 one is hosted by a guy who can't seem to read the cue cards. I turned it off after two sections.

The post-tests are a joke, don't bother.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would not rely on it as your only lab source. I used it with DeVry and I have to say that it didn't do that good of a job. I highly relied on my own labs with packet tracer and dynamips and my real hardware as well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wanted to bump this to see if anyone else has used it.

EDIT: The mods shouldprobably move it since it should be in the CCNA forum
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I've done a couple online courses from Microsoft e-learning and they use element K if I remember correctly and they were ok.

I also happened to join ACM as a student just today. Welcome — Association for Computing Machinery It's only $19 and you get access to a ton of books and a ton of element k labs and courses. I've gone through a good bit of the CCENT course and done a couple of the labs and it is a very good additional resource. The labs aren't done on simulators/emulators they are on actual equipment which is really cool. The quality of the course material seems pretty good. I just posted about it earlier in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/42654-cheapest-training-your-buck-please-read.html

I highly recommend joining ACM and taking advantage of the books and element K resources there. I now have access to so many books and courses on topics I want to learn about I can't decide what to look at next.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I read that thread. That's why I bumped this thread up to try to get replies from people who may have used element-k for their CCNA studies.
    Trying to decide whether I want to join ACM. I already have books 24x7 through WGU so that's not a consideration.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I have access to some of the stuff through my University as well. I still think it is worth the $19 membership cost. I would say just the ICND1 stuff I looked at is worth that and that's just a small amount of the material covering a wide range of certs and topics. I would be really surprised if you couldn't get enough use out of the membership to make it feel like the cost was worth it and hey if you decide it was a waste then you are only out $19. I say this as a person on a limited budget myself!