Degree path and school

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Right now I am looking at a career in IT Security, it is a long term goal, and in order to get there, part of the process for me is earning a degree. I am currently planning on attending Western Govenors University, I have spent considerable time examining reviews from students and, indeed, have a former co-worker in their program.

I am not worried about the viability of their degrees, but I am wondering which route I should take to get to my goal. WGU offers a BS IT-Network Administration option that I like, because I do have an interest in networking, and it adds flexibility to my resume, I can possibly have a career as a system or network admin, while I am pursuing my security track.

They of course offer the BS-IT Security option. This is beneficial for obvious reasons. It immediately shows employers my security focus.

Right now I am considering earning the BS-IT-NA, then going for a Masters in Security. Is that usually accepted? Can you go for a Masters outside of your Bachelors domain?

I would like some advice on which to persue. And I would also like to hear the experience of any former WGU students here.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Can you go for a Masters outside of your Bachelors domain?

Yes, it happens all the time.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep. I'm doing a Psychology undergrad and will try to get into Nova's MSIS program.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was fairly certain of that. any advice?

I think your plan sounds fine though I would suggest doing an online program that has an NSA "Center of Academic Excellence" label for your Masters.

Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS
    Yeah, I've considered that, and I defiantly am interested in one of those. No one seems to be able to answer my questions on that, I'll probably ask them here.
    Yeah, I've considered that, and I defiantly am interested in one of those. No one seems to be able to answer my questions on that, I'll probably ask them here.

Ask away...
    Ok, this is a copy-paste, cause i'm running off to work, but real quick:

What is your opinion on them, and does the individual obtain a certification when a degree is earned from the certified university or does the certification simply belong to the university.
    Ok, this is a copy-paste, cause i'm running off to work, but real quick:

What is your opinion on them, and does the individual obtain a certification when a degree is earned from the certified university or does the certification simply belong to the university.

Umm, what ever you pasted is not showing up on your post.
    Strange, I see it in my post, and in your reply quote.

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Strange, I see it in my post, and in your reply quote.

For WGU you earn the certs and they are yours. They also just so happen to apply to the degree. It is my suggestion to you that you do as many certs as you can before you enroll.
    oh, no, that is in reference to the NSA CNSS certs. they have different certifications, 4011, 4012, ect.