Options

Old Boson Still Applicable?

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I got my CCNA back in 2006 and I let it lapse and now I'm gonna start over from scratch. I used the Boson sim to prep me for the 2006 exam and I'm wondering if the labs would still be applicable to the current test. I know on the surface it prob sounds like a dumb question because it's so old and the test has changed a lot, but I can't imagine that the router commands have changed much, and I would think the methods for configuring things such as OSPF or EIGRP routing haven't changed.

Am I off base? If I do these older labs will I be learning things the wrong way for the current test? I don't plan on using it for my sole source of experience, I have access to switches and routers at work and some access to packet tracer. The prob with packet tracer is that I don't have access to any labs that are specifically designed for it so it's kinda tricky. I have the Lammle book and I've tried setting up the Labs in packet tracer and some of the commands don't work or they give you different output than the book, and I'm talking about simple stuff like the "line aux 0" or "line vty 0 ?" and "sho controllers s0/0/1". The book states that it's a 2811 router and in packet tracer I'm selecting a 2811. I have the labs created by Furqan and haven't tried those yet in packet tracer, but those labs are limited. I tried fooling around with GN3 and from my research on this site it seems the general consensus is that packet tracer is recommended for the CCNA because it covers everything you need for the exam and has a much smaller learning curve than GN3 so you can focus on learning the material and not spend a bunch of time learning the program. Also, packet tracer doesn't give you a cisco wireless router so you can practice configuring that, specifically the Dot11 interfaces. You only get access points and a linksys router for wireless.

Thanx

P.S. And no SDM in packet tracer.....