Starting this Today

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings All

I have officially started CCNA:S studying today. My materials include the Self Study guide, the exam cram, the lab manual, and my CCNA lab. I plan to use with the CBT nuggets from the ISCW to review and maybe the the VPN configuration guide and Routing+ Switching I+II for extra points. I will post here to track my progress. My plan completion date is January 16th or before.

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
«13

Comments

  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep going, I am studying for this exam too and I will try shut it in the middle of January.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's been pretty easy going so far. I'll want to review some of the things again, but it's been pretty straight-forward so far. I'll either finish the book tonight or this morning, and then it's lab/manual and review for a couple of weeks.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's been pretty easy going so far. I'll want to review some of the things again, but it's been pretty straight-forward so far. I'll either finish the book tonight or this morning, and then it's lab/manual and review for a couple of weeks.

    I am going to give myself about 2 weeks to finish the book and make various notes on stuff I want to review or things I didn't understand. I think I will go over the CBTs for ISCW during that time as well. I will study the book (along with Network Warrior) and then go over notes. I need to order some vpn mods for my 1721s so I will hold off on doing a lot of labbing.

    I looked over the lab manual yesterday and it looks pretty windows based. I am going to try to find linux alternatives.

    I am going to start the security+ book soon after I am finished with the CCNA:S Self study guide as well.


    EDIT: A Work buddy is letting me read his CCNP ISCW exam guide so this is now added to my materials.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck to you. BTW, I would highly recommend the CBT Nuggs for CCNA:S. I had a great experience with it, almost unbelievable how much the exam reflected what was covered in them videos.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh, I thought you did the Security+ already for some reason. So you might come across some more new info, but it's still not too bad.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thinking that the Security+ and the 70-291 is helping me a little bit to understand more deep some concepts.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    coffeeking wrote: »
    Good Luck to you. BTW, I would highly recommend the CBT Nuggs for CCNA:S. I had a great experience with it, almost unbelievable how much the exam reflected what was covered in them videos.

    I'm to poor for all that icon_redface.gif. I do have the nuggets for the ISCW so I think that will do, I mean, ISCW covers alot about VPN (and MLPS+DSL/CABLE) so it should be more than useful.

    dynamik wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you did the Security+ already for some reason. So you might come across some more new info, but it's still not too bad.
    Does anyone read my sig, or is this going back to the day when I changed it every 5 minutes....icon_lol.gif



    impelse wrote: »
    I am thinking that the Security+ and the 70-291 is helping me a little bit to understand more deep some concepts.

    I am using S+ for 3 things: 1 to help build up my infosec knowledge (and possibly make me a better CCNA:S),2 because the government wants it and 3 because it will help shorten my time at my current school by 3 classes.
  • poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I'm to poor for all that icon_redface.gif. I do have the nuggets for the ISCW so I think that will do, I mean, ISCW covers alot about VPN (and MLPS+DSL/CABLE) so it should be more than useful.



    Does anyone read my sig, or is this going back to the day when I changed it every 5 minutes....icon_lol.gif






    I am using S+ for 3 things: 1 to help build up my infosec knowledge (and possibly make me a better CCNA:S),2 because the government wants it and 3 because it will help shorten my time at my current school by 3 classes.

    shorten my time at my current school by 3 classes? That's very interesting what school you going to? thank you
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    poguy wrote: »
    shorten my time at my current school by 3 classes? That's very interesting what school you going to? thank you

    It is a local community college Sinclair Community College. The S+ gets me out of 2 basic security classes and 1 advanced class, and the A+/N+/S+ combo gets me out of another 4 (for a total of 7 classes). The CCNA gets me out of 4 classes (7 credits each) which greatly helps me out.


    To bad that does not transfer over to my software development degree. I only get out of 1 basic linux class for Linux+. I may actually have to take the OCA to get out of those an basic oracle class. I have a background in mysql so learning oracle shouldn't be to hard.

    I wish my school was still doing ccnp classes and advanced linux classes but that is another story.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also cleared chapter 2 which is a lot considering what I do during the week. This weekend I plan to finish chapters 2-4. I also want to do the first lab in the CCNA:S Lab manual. In unrelated studies I plan to get my CENTOS box up and running, review some cbts on linux+/lpic-1 and map out the security+. I also order Routing and Switching Vol I, Network Warrior (so I can stop bumming off the library) and Darrils Security+ book to add to my personal reading library about 30 seconds ago. In another thread I decided that I want to be a CCIE:S by the year 2013 which means I have my work cut out for me.

    Also I started a blog knwminus' journey
    It is still very much a work in progress but I plan to use it to track my journey.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how can you progress in differents direction at the same time?

    In my case I need to focus in just one certification. For ex. I was studying for 70-291 and I decided to study the Heorot training and read three books for penetration testing and I did the practices, so I was delaying my exam 70-291 and later I have to get it back re-study and sit for the exam (I took me almost 7 month just for that exam). Did I learn? Yes, but at that pace I will never complete any certification, so now my plan is:

    Just focus in one exam at the time in the following order:

    CCNA:S (Studying now, Chap 10)
    Windows 7 configuration (to complete MCSA)
    Linux+
    CEH

    I still I did not decide if after Windows 7 will go for Cisco Firewall Specialist .
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    impelse wrote: »
    how can you progress in differents direction at the same time?

    In my case I need to focus in just one certification. For ex. I was studying for 70-291 and I decided to study the Heorot training and read three books for penetration testing and I did the practices, so I was delaying my exam 70-291 and later I have to get it back re-study and sit for the exam (I took me almost 7 month just for that exam). Did I learn? Yes, but at that pace I will never complete any certification, so now my plan is:

    Just focus in one exam at the time in the following order:

    CCNA:S (Studying now, Chap 10)
    Windows 7 configuration (to complete MCSA)
    Linux+
    CEH

    I still I did not decide if after Windows 7 will go for Cisco Firewall Specialist .

    Well ask yourself this: When you were in high school, did you take 1 class or did you take at least 5-6 classes at the same time? Did you have trouble and say to yourself "I only am going to do one classes worth of work" or do you get it done. That is the way I feel. I am not trying to complete them all at once, but I think it is possible to study multiple things at once. This is honestly my first time doing this with certs. With the S+/CCNA:S material being so related, it seems like a natural thing to do. And I am not in school right now so what else should I do? icon_wink.gif

    Oh and the Firewall specialist is retired http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le41/le85/le56/learning_certification_type_home_extra_level.html

    There is the asa specialist http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le5/learning_certification_type_home.html
    And the IPS specialist http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le41/le85/le58/learning_certification_type_home_extra_level.html

    You can get both while doing CCSP (my goal).

    EDIT: I think the CEH would be fun to do but not until I build my infosec knowledge and skills up much higher.
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are using the CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide (Exam 640-553) you might want to pick up Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide). The official study exam guide is great but it doesn't touch much on the SDM questions and scenarios/sims you will find on the test. THe implementing book does a much better job filling in the gaps.

    ~cp
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are using the CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide (Exam 640-553) you might want to pick up Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide). The official study exam guide is great but it doesn't touch much on the SDM questions and scenarios/sims you will find on the test. THe implementing book does a much better job filling in the gaps.

    ~cp

    I'm actually using the Authorized Self-Study Guide, the lab manual, and the Exam cram. Think it is enough?
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I believe it will be. From what I heard the CCNA:Security is easier than your regular CCNA. I can't say for sure because I haven't taken it yet.
  • ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well ask yourself this: When you were in high school, did you take 1 class or did you take at least 5-6 classes at the same time? Did you have trouble and say to yourself "I only am going to do one classes worth of work" or do you get it done. That is the way I feel. I am not trying to complete them all at once, but I think it is possible to study multiple things at once. This is honestly my first time doing this with certs. With the S+/CCNA:S material being so related, it seems like a natural thing to do.

    I'm inspired knwminus! I'm starting this sucker this week, and I've decided to take on the MS 70-293 for a full load. I think studying for two certs at the same time isn't a bad idea, as long as the material is related. In my case, I feel like I have a solid grasp of security concepts after Sec+, and this should give me a good foundation for both CCNA-S and 293.
    I think your schedule is a lot more aggresive than mine, but who knows, once I get rolling I might be able to knock this out sooner than I thought. I guess it's a good thing to get cerified quickly, before the technology becomes outdated.
    Good luck to you.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ian g wrote: »
    I'm inspired knwminus! I'm starting this sucker this week, and I've decided to take on the MS 70-293 for a full load. I think studying for two certs at the same time isn't a bad idea, as long as the material is related. In my case, I feel like I have a solid grasp of security concepts after Sec+, and this should give me a good foundation for both CCNA-S and 293.
    I think your schedule is a lot more aggresive than mine, but who knows, once I get rolling I might be able to knock this out sooner than I thought. I guess it's a good thing to get cerified quickly, before the technology becomes outdated.
    Good luck to you.

    Thank you very much. Apparently I am a bit to aggressive (BE BE AGRESSIVE) in my desire for cert domination but we shall see. Good luck to you, I don't know much about MS but get err done.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ian g wrote: »
    I think studying for two certs at the same time isn't a bad idea, as long as the material is related.

    I regularly study for multiple certs at once. As you can, I have four in-progress at the moment. That's a bit extreme, but it's nice to mix up your studies. I get bored if I look at the same old thing all the time.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Thank you very much. Apparently I am a bit to aggressive (BE BE AGRESSIVE) in my desire for cert domination but we shall see. Good luck to you, I don't know much about MS but get err done.

    How did you spell aggressive correctly the first time but not the second? icon_lol.gif

    I think the general criticism is that you're trying to do so many advanced certs in so many different areas. You'll end up being a jack of all trades and master of none. It's good to be familiar with various technologies at a foundation-level, but you'll just end up spinning your tires if you try to master everything.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I regularly study for multiple certs at once. As you can, I have four in-progress at the moment. That's a bit extreme, but it's nice to mix up your studies. I get bored if I look at the same old thing all the time.

    That is the way I feel but this CCNA:S book is kinda boring at parts.
    dynamik wrote: »
    How did you spell aggressive correctly the first time but not the second? icon_lol.gif

    I think the general criticism is that you're trying to do so many advanced certs in so many different areas. You'll end up being a jack of all trades and master of none. It's good to be familiar with various technologies at a foundation-level, but you'll just end up spinning your tires if you try to master everything.

    1 word: POST-TARDING. Yea like I understand what you guys are saying and all but I still want my CCIE:S and my RHCSS:D. I am leaning more towards rounding out the year with a CCNP + RHCT. But who knows.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Still reading the CCNA:Snoring, I mean Security Self Study guide. Unfortunately this weekend I was really busy so I did not get to lab like I wanted to. I will do a few view labs, and some AAA stuff tonight but not really a whole lot. Since I know I want to do CCSP at some point (and I want to be a better CCNA:S) I am thinking about downloading a trail of Cisco Clean Access and playing with it, but i might hold off on doing that until I actually take the IDS test. Who knows.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is I call the wall, sometimes became boring, but keep doing and try to finish the material, after that do some practice exam and you will get it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am about 3/4 of the way through the book. I plan to finish it sometime this weekend along with the first couple of labs out of the lab manual. I have a big weekend planned (study wise) which includes:

    CCNA:S
    Finish the Self Study guide and start the lab manual. Start Exam cram review.

    Linux+:
    Go over chapter 1 out of the Linux+ study guide.
    Getting my Cent and Debian boxes up and running and configuring my Ubuntu Server for remote access.

    Security+
    Finish chapter 1 out of Darrils book

    Others:
    Start chapter 9 out of network warrior.
    Possibly start chapter 1 of Routing TCP/IP
    Post on my blog.

    I will also see a movie, go out to eat with my wife, and clean up my study den. So this weekend will be spent enriching myself and relaxing. icon_study.gificon_study.gifdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif then work on Monday.

    Have a good weekend all.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Weekend was pretty much eaten up by other things so studies were not my number one concerned. I am almost caught up to where I want to be however. I am starting the lab manual tonight. Gotta get around to making a blog post.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its cool that youre dabbling in all of this but are you retaining any of it? Personally I think you are doing way too much. Good luck though.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Its cool that youre dabbling in all of this but are you retaining any of it? Personally I think you are doing way too much. Good luck though.

    Funny you should ask.

    With the Security+/CCNA:S? Yes. In fact the material works very well together. Linux+ is the odd man out. It is harder to related the Linux+ material to the CCNA:S/SEC+ material because they are totally different, which is why the percentage on the Linux+ material is going to be very low for a while. The Sec+/CCNA:Sec material is "easier" for me to retain whereas the Linux+ is more difficult, but not because it is truly more difficult but because I have a harder time applying that material to my job.

    I actually may have to walk down the MCSA/E path early next year, but it isn't 100% in stone yet. More than likely I will at least get a MCSA:Sec before June. Who knows. There is also talk about Juniper, RedHat and Solaros stuff as well. Who knows.

    As far as it being to much, that is you opinion. I just don't see it the same way. I mean if I said MCSE/RHCE/CCNP/SP at the same time then I could see your point but I see it is learning the basics of a few areas. Nothing to big. Especially since the CCNA:S/S+ are basically to a subset of each other, it seems to me like a no brainer. You shouldn't limit yourself to one thing in terms of studying, mix it up, get creative. Like tonight, I am going to work in the CCNA:S lab manual. Instead of using Windows servers for syslogs, I am going to use Cent servers. You gotta get your feet wet in more than one area imho.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Go ping yourself... Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just curious, what do you do and how long have you worked in IT? Paid work, not the freelance stuff.

    Ive been doing this for 6 years and I know what it feels like to be spread thin.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you do and how long have you worked in IT? Paid work, not the freelance stuff.

    Ive been doing this for 6 years and I know what it feels like to be spread thin.

    Paid Stuff: About 3 1/2 years. I have worked in Telephonic support (yuck!), Break Fix roles, and I am now currently working in a NOC doing network monitoring, some config changes and other stuff. They are in the process of giving up quasi network engineering roles and work so changes are coming.

    Personally I feel like I am not working up to my full potential. I would say I am pretty smart and I can usually pick things up quickly if I apply myself and I learn a lot from others as well. At every job I have worked at, my goal has been to find the best person there and be better than that person. I feel like a lot of the people at my job have become happy with just being in the noc (and that is ok), but as for me, I want more. I feel like the see the backs of the engineers here and I plan to get to that level.

    Which brings me back to my studies, we have a lot of down time and I am not in school right now so I have plenty of time (usually) to study, so that is why I am after so much because when I go back to school, I won't be able to keep this pace up.

    Why do you ask?
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Personally I feel like I am not working up to my full potential. I would say I am pretty smart and I can usually pick things up quickly if I apply myself and I learn a lot from others as well. At every job I have worked at, my goal has been to find the best person there and be better than that person. I feel like a lot of the people at my job have become happy with just being in the noc (and that is ok), but as for me, I want more. I feel like the see the backs of the engineers here and I plan to get to that level.

    That's a great attitude to have and I'm sure it will carry you far. Good luck.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    knwminus wrote: »
    Paid Stuff: About 3 1/2 years. I have worked in Telephonic support (yuck!), Break Fix roles, and I am now currently working in a NOC doing network monitoring, some config changes and other stuff. They are in the process of giving up quasi network engineering roles and work so changes are coming.

    Personally I feel like I am not working up to my full potential. I would say I am pretty smart and I can usually pick things up quickly if I apply myself and I learn a lot from others as well. At every job I have worked at, my goal has been to find the best person there and be better than that person. I feel like a lot of the people at my job have become happy with just being in the noc (and that is ok), but as for me, I want more. I feel like the see the backs of the engineers here and I plan to get to that level.

    Which brings me back to my studies, we have a lot of down time and I am not in school right now so I have plenty of time (usually) to study, so that is why I am after so much because when I go back to school, I won't be able to keep this pace up.

    Why do you ask?




    Man sounds like we are in the same boat here. I work in a NOC performing network monitoring. I don't do anymore phone support, I just got off the phone by going to all network monitoring. I was doing PKI, VPN stuff (install, fix, etc...) over the phone and Incident Management reporting. I got my CCNA back in October, passed the BCMSN December 3rd, taking BSCI January 25th, 2010. I am trying to get the CCNP because I have been doing a good job of picking this stuff up rather easily, which I am surprised. I know I am smart, but I can't apply any of the knowledge currently until I can get something fully in networking. Which I'm hoping the CCNP leads me to a networking opportunity within here or somewhere else in the area. Keep up your studies, and keep going on and you'll find something that makes you happy.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man sounds like we are in the same boat here. I work in a NOC performing network monitoring. I don't do anymore phone support, I just got off the phone by going to all network monitoring. I was doing PKI, VPN stuff (install, fix, etc...) over the phone and Incident Management reporting. I got my CCNA back in October, passed the BCMSN December 3rd, taking BSCI January 25th, 2010. I am trying to get the CCNP because I have been doing a good job of picking this stuff up rather easily, which I am surprised. I know I am smart, but I can't apply any of the knowledge currently until I can get something fully in networking. Which I'm hoping the CCNP leads me to a networking opportunity within here or somewhere else in the area. Keep up your studies, and keep going on and you'll find something that makes you happy.

    You sound like you have been in the noc longer than I have but yea seems we share the same viewpoint. I have only been in here since September and I know that I have to move up, that is what makes me want to complete so many certs because the way I see it, all of the "2nd level" noc people are CCNAs and we have 1 CCNP. The only way I can make myself different is to A: Know more, B: Do more, and C: Be more.
Sign In or Register to comment.