Options

Passed BSCI

burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
I passed my BSCI today. I got a 928/1000.

EIGRP 100%
OSPF 77%
ISIS 85%
IOS Routing 88%
BGP 77%
Multicast 100%
IPv6 100%

I honestly found this test a lot easier than I though I would. After reading all the horror stories about time restraints and the difficulty of the test I had low expectations.

I hurried through the first half of the test, and finished with around 40 minutes remaining. I usually finish tests fast anyway, but I did hurry the first half of it.

For study materials I used the Self-Study, Lab Portfolio, Exam prep, IP Packet **** sheets, this forum, Cisco's website, and I also perused a lot of people's CCNP blogs.

I ran through the self study book in about 2 weeks. I then did the Lab portfolio in about a week. I then made my own Lab scenarios, since I found the lab portfolio entirely too easy. Then I just tried to fill in the gaps of my knowledge through the interwebs.

Thanks all, for your unknowing help.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Where to next? BCMSN? icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    What recommendations do you have for me? I just started preparing for the BSCI.
  • Options
    I am going to leap into the BCMSN. I just purchased the self-study guide, and trying to find some deals on a couple 3550s. Luckily the network I administer is mostly comprised of L3 switches, so that should help.
  • Options
    I don't think you'll have too many issues with the BCMSN. It isn't as bad as what it seems and the L3 stuff you can really do if you have a router image in dynamips. If you would prefer to do that over buying the switches. Studying for mine, I was able to do everything using my routers image file in dynamips.
  • Options
    I'm concerned with spanning tree since I didn't do so well on that portion on my CCNA, not too concerned with the routing portion. I guess I could grab some L2 switches for that stuff.

As for tips on the BSCI know as much as you can. Learn how to map a multicast address to a MAC. Learn how an autoconfigured ipv6 address is created. Things like that are necessary on top of the hands on knowledge.

A lot of people here mention debugging while you lab. If you're having trouble with the theory portion than this will definitely help.

A good source that I haven't seen mentioned here is the Cisco protocol FAQs.

EIGRP
    OSPF
    BGP

If you can answer, and understand all those questions then you'll be in good shape come test time.
  • Options
    You will see more on RSTP and MST with the BCMSN. From the text that I read it didn't go into detail of STP like the CCNA. I guess because they assume you already have that down. I'll make sure to check out the lab portfolio so I can gets some hands on lab practice.