Options

C2924-XL-EN 24 Port Switch - helpful for ccna?

knewboldknewbold Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just wondered if a
C2924-XL-EN 24 Port Switch was helpful for a ccna - or if i would need to modify the version of ios on there

i accidently purchased one from ebay for £30 - which i hope is a good price!

its also the first switch i have purchased for my lab

let me know

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    knewbold wrote: »
    I just wondered if a
    C2924-XL-EN 24 Port Switch was helpful for a ccna - or if i would need to modify the version of ios on there

i accidently purchased one from ebay for £30 - which i hope is a good price!

its also the first switch i have purchased for my lab

let me know

They are useful switches. They do most if not all of the CCNA requirements but some of the commands are different to the switches the CCNA course is based on. Nothing too major but you must be aware of them.

A couple of differences spring to mind-

show mac address-table

vs.
    show mac-address-table (or something like that)

And the method of administering vlans and vlan trunking protocol, the 2900 requires the command-

vlan database

To put the switch into vlan editing mode.

If you are looking to expand your lab look for a 2950 Enhanced Image switch.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think they make a good 3rd switch for a CCNA lab. Since the price on 2950s has come down, those should be your 1st & 2nd switches.

If you can find some of the 2950 models that run the Enhanced Image, those would be nice to have for the CCNP -- otherwise the Standard Image models are fine for the CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I would prefer the 2950s, if not just for the new vlan editing method. The vlan database command is being phased out and is not on any of the CCNP coursework moving forward (at least not so far). 2950s are really inexpensive, so it just makes sense. 2924 will work just fine for light switching though.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab