Remote Desktop - Local printer?

matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
Hi guys.

I posted a few days back about remote desktop and the replies were very helpful.

I'm doing a setup using remote desktop and it's working great except for being able to print from the remote application to the local printer. I checked "Connect automatically to these local devices when logged into the remote computer" and Printers is checked.

Is there something else I should be doing? Does the local printer need to be shared?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    The printer should be shared I think, and make sure the remote has permission to use the printer.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Ricka182 wrote:
    The printer should be shared I think, and make sure the remote has permission to use the printer.

Ahh, that's one thing I didn't check. I'll check that tomorrow to make sure the remote user has permission to access the printer, as well as remove the everyone group. icon_exclaim.gif

Guess I also need to make sure that the remote server has a driver for the printer. Hopefully that will get it going!

Thanks for the info.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will find the local printer not able to be used unless you have set up your connection to allow local resources.

Also there is an issue that many USB devices can not be shared with a remote desktop. We come across this issue constantly with Terminal Services and usually solve it by putting a Print Server in.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    I got the printer working. I tred *everything* in terms of installing drivers on the server, ect. It finally came to me that both computers must be using the *exact same* printer driver. Don't know why I didn't think of that but it fixed the problem.

Now the boss tells me he's ordered a $300 all-in-one to replace the printer as soon as I got it working! That should be fun to get working. icon_eek.gif