Options

All user setting in Vista

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
Ok..I'm losing my mind. I'm setting up a machine to be used as an image base. I load all my apps, make my configs, and create an image...but then once deployed some of the changes aren't there.. Desktop icons, IE advanced settings, proxy settings(even though they are set in gpedit)..stuff like that. It's good if I log in, but when a regular user logs in, it's plain and basic... This is driving me crazy because I have to go through make 15 minutes of changes every time I put a machine out.

So I guess I'm asking...How can make something take effect on the machine versus my user account. It's Vista icon_sad.gif , and I'm logged in as an admin...
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of Vista?

How are you using gpedit locally or domain?
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    I think you need to put your Desktop Icons in the Public Folder > Desktop it's a hidden folder.
  • Options
    gpedit is being run locally, and this is Vista Enterprise 32 bit, SP2.

I thought there was a public folder...can't believe I forgot to check hidden files and folders.. okay, so I can fix the desktop stuff easily enough.

Still trying to figure out why proxy settings and IE settings don't stick though..there's got to be something somewhere controlling this...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You can use sysprep to copy the settings in your Admin profile to the Default profile. Then, when a new user logs on, they will get the default user settings as base settings for their profile

How to use Sysprep to customize a default local user profile
    1. Use the administrator account or an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the computer.
    2. Configure the settings that you want to use in the profile. This includes desktop settings, favorites, and Start menu options.
    3. Create an Unattend.xml file that contains the CopyProfile parameter. This parameter must be set to true in the specialized pass. For example, the parameter must be as follows: <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
    4. At a command prompt, type the following command: sysprep.exe /generalize /unattend:unattend.xml
      Note You must use the /generalize switch for the CopyProfile parameter to be used.
    5. Capture the image.
    6. Deploy the image.
    How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Ricka182 wrote: »
    gpedit is being run locally, and this is Vista Enterprise 32 bit, SP2.

Don't forget that in Vista and Win7 there are both local admin group policies and local standard user group policies. If you are adjusting the setttings in the admin local policy, your standard users won't get them.

Deploying Group Policy Using Windows Vista
  • Options
    If you send me a quick detailed email with what settings you are trying to change I will try and help you out I already have a vm setup will probably work til 11 pm CST on my system

see my profile for email or /sig
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Ok..I'm losing my mind. I'm setting up a machine to be used as an image base. I load all my apps, make my configs, and create an image...but then once deployed some of the changes aren't there.. Desktop icons, IE advanced settings, proxy settings(even though they are set in gpedit)..stuff like that. It's good if I log in, but when a regular user logs in, it's plain and basic... This is driving me crazy because I have to go through make 15 minutes of changes every time I put a machine out.

So I guess I'm asking...How can make something take effect on the machine versus my user account. It's Vista icon_sad.gif , and I'm logged in as an admin...

Use Default User :)
  • Options
    Okay, many thanks to those who have responded. I now have my default profile setup correctly. I'm still having trouble with the proxy settings though.. I can't seem to find where in GP the proxy settings are controlled, for the computer. I know where for User config, but that doesn't seem to stick on all accounts that log on. The settings always revert back to blank on port 80, instead of 8080 with our proxy server and exceptions....
  • Options
    You need to join them to a domain and use group policy or setup them up for each user
  • Options
    Okay, many thanks to those who have responded. I now have my default profile setup correctly. I'm still having trouble with the proxy settings though.. I can't seem to find where in GP the proxy settings are controlled, for the computer. I know where for User config, but that doesn't seem to stick on all accounts that log on. The settings always revert back to blank on port 80, instead of 8080 with our proxy server and exceptions....

Are you trying to do this on local group policy or are they joined to a domain? Server 2003 or Server 2008?
  • Options
    qcomer wrote: »
    Are you trying to do this on local group policy or are they joined to a domain? Server 2003 or Server 2008?

We're using Server 2003, and I have no access at the domain level. This is at the local policy level. The machine is joined to the domain after all apps are loaded and config'd, only to pick up any updates. Then it is removed from the domain, sysprep'd, imaged and deployed. One of the last things I was doing before sysprep, was confirming all settings including proxy...logged in as either domain admin(limited access admin) or local admin, the proxy settings are good, but once it gets sysprep'd and deployed, it seems to lose the proxy settings....
  • Options
    We're using Server 2003, and I have no access at the domain level. This is at the local policy level. The machine is joined to the domain after all apps are loaded and config'd, only to pick up any updates. Then it is removed from the domain, sysprep'd, imaged and deployed. One of the last things I was doing before sysprep, was confirming all settings including proxy...logged in as either domain admin(limited access admin) or local admin, the proxy settings are good, but once it gets sysprep'd and deployed, it seems to lose the proxy settings....

Start>Run> type in MMC hit enter.
    File> Add/Remove Snapin > Add group policy object (host = local .
    computer).

User Configuration> Windows Settings> IE Maintenance > Connection > Proxy Settings.

Have you tried those steps?
  • Options
    Ok, so I think I have it set now..thanks to those who replied. Turns out there was an old GPO on the domain, that was overriding my local gpedit setting...got that removed, and now when the machine is joined or removed to the domain, the proxy settings stick the way I set them...thx again!