Options

85 Days until my CCIE VOICE LAB

Comments

• Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have me scared now.. I am shooting to take the lab in july..

Ack!!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, I guess I will be going back in 30 days....!!!! icon_cry.gif .. The thing that really gets me is that it wasn't that I couldn't do any of the things they asked me, it was the fact that I ran out of time... --- NOT MY FAULT!!!! I won't go into details but what I will say is that EVEN PROCTORS MESS UP SOME TIMES.. I have heard it a million times but not till I experienced it did I believe it.

But thanks to everyone for their support, Next week is spring break so I will keep you posting on any new topics...icon_study.gif

Sorry to hear about this. You are definitely studying hard, regularly and for a decent period of time. I think you went in there pretty well equipped. Think over the approach and timesavers and how to handle/when to handle proctors and keep at it!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Back in the paper lab days I started out by checking my R&S lab to make sure it matched my rack (while the guy next to me read his lab and started working on his diagram). After a while and lots of confusion I walked up to the proctor and told him it looked like my lab didn't match the configurations on my rack. The proctor walked over and without looking swapped my lab book with the guy next to me. We both got 15 minutes "extra" at the end of the lab.

One other lab hint is to increase the history buffer in your terminal software and do a show run (and maybe even a show start). That way if you have missing/wrong configurations on a device you have your history to show it was wrong from the start (and that you didn't delete it accidentally). For the non-CLI pre-configs you pretty much need to catch any pre-config issues right up front.

Hopefully with the newer "on screen" system, the possibility of proctor error has been removed (and replaced by programmer error). And hopefully there is another device verification step to insure rack pre-configuration integrity.

I think Scott Morris mentions in his R&S Audio/Videos about hardware problems. If you've done your basic checks and think it's a hardware issue, ask the proctor. If he tells you it's fine, then you probably missed something in the lab. If it is a hardware issue, you'll get some time back, but not the 2 hours (yeah -- I think Scott actually mentions 2 hours :D) you spent troubleshooting it. Of course, if you really have a hardware issue and the proctor thinks you're just "missing something" from the lab, then you're pretty much screwed.

But in the long run, you're more likely to have your flight delayed by weather, get bumped from a full flight, or have your hotel lose your reservation (or give your room that you pre-booked months in advance to someone willing to pay the last minute premium rate) than have a Proctor/Hardware/Pre-Config issue.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Really sorry to hear this Luckycharms. Lab is hard enough without proctor problems. Not sure what I would do if i thought the proctor was in my base killing my doods.

You will nail it next time with a bigger helping of yellow moons, green clovers, and pink hearts. You have plenty of heart already, this is meant to be.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nuts.
    But as I always say treat it as recon.

I would log a case, if only to help the next guy who might run into it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    mikej412 wrote: »
    But in the long run, you're more likely to have your flight delayed by weather, get bumped from a full flight, or have your hotel lose your reservation (or give your room that you pre-booked months in advance to someone willing to pay the last minute premium rate) than have a Proctor/Hardware/Pre-Config issue.

Even after all that has happened, I still 100% agree. --But you better believe that I will check next time...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    Well I am going back on the 16th, and hopefully the outcome will be different... I am screaming through the IPX WB1 with out any problems...and going to start working on the WB2 as soon as I finish... But we will see.... icon_study.gif
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    EXCELLENT!!!!! You're going to kill it this time!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Hopefully you'll have the wind at your back for this run!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Well Monday is down and the test is Friday....icon_rolleyes.gif I don't feel as nervous as last time.. I guess that is a good thing? I haven't' been studying as much as I could have but I have been steadily poking at things that I might have messed up or cost me excess time. My strategy hasn't changed, but I have allowed more time for each of the task's.

The only thing that keeps sitting in the back of my mind, is that there is some chance that I actually get everything together and put together a good attempt and I get hit on some stupid OEQ's... I know there is no really good way to prepare for a OEQ, besides just knowing your stuff... Ooh well we will see...
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your mindset definitely sounds better. I know not being as nervous can in itself be a worry (paradoxical as that sounds) because you think you're not taking it seriously enough but really it's just that you are much more prepared mentally this time. I was exactly the same on my 2nd attempt.
    Trust in your own abilities and the time you have already put into this.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Have fun and good luck icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Out celebrating I hope...
  • Options
    Just walked out.. So don't have results back... but call routing felt good... got to test everything...But missed on a few little things... I will post when I know more...
  • Options
    Good luck man!!! (fingers crossed for ya)
  • Options
    I'll open a "practice celebration beer" now so I'll be ready for good news. :D
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Good luck man!!! (fingers crossed for ya)
    +1 good luck my caffeinated friend.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I'll open a "practice celebration beer" now so I'll be ready for good news. :D
    Actually if it's a practice I believe someone else has to open it and then you have to wait 2 hrs to drink it... :p
  • Options
    I started practicing @ 5 :)
  • Options
    Well no answer/email yet... so we will see..I guess that is a good thing more then a bad thing.
  • Options
    FAILED!!!!!!! going back in 30!!!!icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    going back in 30!!!!

Rock 'n Roll!!! icon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    going back in 30!!!!icon_exclaim.gif

bummer how far away ?

and bring it in on again icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    I respect your perseverance!
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    seraphus wrote: »
    I respect your perseverance!

Ditto. I would probably make excuses to myself about the cost and just wind up drinking too much alcohol_compound_sticker-p217367556513992176qjcl_400.jpg
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    Sorry man icon_sad.gif Certainly need to applaud your perseverance. Or maybe you are just self abusive :)

Do you have a feel for where things went awry?
  • Options
    FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Love your determination!!!bowing.gif This must be taken a toll on the finances though
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sucks dude. Hopefully you can knock it out next time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Good luck on the next one dude!
  • Options
    Everyone... THIS IS EXPENSIVE!!!! but honestly I felt so good about the last test it's hard to give up now.... Thanks everyone for your support..icon_thumright.gif Now Its time to look over the things I had problems with and go back to the lab... AGAIN!!!!icon_rolleyes.gif