Options

How should I focus my study?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
Howdy all!

I've decided to go for a cert that I have wanted for a while, and one that is long over due for me. The CCNA!

IE. What % reading? What % virtual lab? What % real lab? and What % memorizing IOS commands and syntax?

How much harder is the CCNA compared to the CCNA (besides having to know the IOS commands)?

And where can I find the best practice tests?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    abefroman wrote: »
    Howdy all!

I've decided to go for a cert that I have wanted for a while, and one that is long over due for me. The CCNA!

IE. What % reading? What % virtual lab? What % real lab? and What % memorizing IOS commands and syntax?

How much harder is the CCNA compared to the CCNA (besides having to know the IOS commands)?

And where can I find the best practice tests?

TIA

Ok I think you should device you studies like this 40 percent reading, 20 percent practice test (transcender) and 40 percent lab work.

I think that (if you can) try to use real equipment for about 70 percent of you studies. Packet Tracer is good for reviews but you cannot run all of the things you will need for the CCNA IMHO. It covers the major things (routing protocols, authentication, etc) but not some of the more minor details type of things (dhcp, configuration register, etc) plus PT has weird things that happen when you start to run a semi complex network. It really does not scale well at all.

I recommend you get transcender 30 day online deal a month before you take the test. For the First 2 weeks do not look at the correct answers because you do not want to risk memorizing the answers. Also use transcender flash (included with any transcender package). IMHO (minus the lack of sims) the transcender is much harder than the actual CCNA test so if you get about 60-70s on those test you will probably pass (if you lab and can do the sims).
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Ok I think you should device you studies like this 40 percent reading, 20 percent practice test (transcender) and 40 percent lab work.

I think that (if you can) try to use real equipment for about 70 percent of you studies. Packet Tracer is good for reviews but you cannot run all of the things you will need for the CCNA IMHO. It covers the major things (routing protocols, authentication, etc) but not some of the more minor details type of things (dhcp, configuration register, etc) plus PT has weird things that happen when you start to run a semi complex network. It really does not scale well at all.

I recommend you get transcender 30 day online deal a month before you take the test. For the First 2 weeks do not look at the correct answers because you do not want to risk memorizing the answers. Also use transcender flash (included with any transcender package). IMHO (minus the lack of sims) the transcender is much harder than the actual CCNA test so if you get about 60-70s on those test you will probably pass (if you lab and can do the sims).

Thanks! I have some equipment, and I'm ordering a couple more used pieces off ebay.

That's a good idea about not looking at that answers. I noticed some people develop myopia and actually don't end up learning form the practice questions, and then they bomb the actual test.
  • Options
    abefroman wrote: »
    Thanks! I have some equipment, and I'm ordering a couple more used pieces off ebay.

That's a good idea about not looking at that answers. I noticed some people develop myopia and actually don't end up learning form the practice questions, and then they bomb the actual test.

I would agree up until a point. During the last few days before my test, I would go through and look at the answers and read the "whys" as in why it is correct and I was not. I then did further research based on that information that I found.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget that the exam focuses on speed too, make sure you can subnet in a reasonable time frame (30 sec. or less) and know your show commands without thinking to much on the correct syntax.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    Don't forget that the exam focuses on speed too, make sure you can subnet in a reasonable time frame (30 sec. or less) and know your show commands without thinking to much on the correct syntax.

That to. I forgot to mention that. Don't take all day doing the questions.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    knwminus wrote: »
    I would agree up until a point. During the last few days before my test, I would go through and look at the answers and read the "whys" as in why it is correct and I was not. I then did further research based on that information that I found.

I agree with that policy on using test questions. Personally I go through the practice questions about 75% of the way through my studies (usually the BOSON computer based tests that come with the Cisco press books) and I see if I am getting them right as I go, bit tricky to see if I got a question right without actually looking at the answer though!!

Once complete I review the relevent study material for the questions I get wrong.

Then a couple of days before the exam I go through all the questions again and read all the reasonings for the answers.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually start my practice exams right away. I average about 50% too, which isn't too shabby! icon_lol.gif

I like being exposed to the material in different ways at different times, and mixing up reading, practice exams, and optionally CBTs really works for me.

That strategy is a must though; you'll go nowhere if you just memorize questions and answers.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I dunno. I would think being the sausage king of Chicago would take up most of your time! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    i dunno. I would think being the sausage king of chicago would take up most of your time! icon_lol.gif

lol!!!!!!!
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would recommend highly practicing subnetting. In addition, lab, lab, and lab some more. I would read as well as watch some videos and do practice tests. You can't over prepare. Only under prepare!