Options

CCNA with no degree and no experience

2»

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe - Fact of the matter is CCNA in general is inherently hands on. CLI in GNS3 is just as hands on as the CLI in a lab environment or in class with real equipment. I don't want to say there's no advantage to having real equipment, because I love having my rack around...But if you're looking at an entry level networking gig, the hands on experience they'll be looking for will probably be rack and stack, cable running, packet analyzers, etc.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From speaking with hiring managers, they usually don't count classroom time as experience. Think about, mostly every person who has passed the CCNA had to study and work on routers/switches in some way (actual equipment or simulation software)..so does that mean everyone who has the CCNA, should be considered to have experience? Definitely not in my opinion. Yes, we learn a great deal from the CCNA but most networking problems are not so cut and dry. Usually someone who is excellent at troubleshooting has many years of experience, and a lot of the times...that's why employers would like someone with work experience not classroom experience.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    lilmansdad wrote: »
    And I would think a year of hands on classroom experience should count for something...

Unfortunately what you think should count doesn't matter. The only opinion that matters is the person that decides to hire you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hate when I repeatedly read a new post asking how much money should I make with a certification no degree and no experience. There is no way to speculate how much you will be making it all depends on region and the market. Having a ccna isnt a golden ticket that'll get every employer knocking down your door to get you on there team.

I see so many ppl who post in other forums that achieve ccnp and no experience that cant catch a break. I mean if it was the year 1999 with the lack of certified people then skys the limit but the market is now flooded with ccnas. you will be lucky if your resume gets looked at just stating you have a ccna. All I can say is after you gain you ccna polish your resume find ways to make it look beefy and be ready to back it up in the interview.

I got my current job with my ccna but that was due to my personality. My boss told me other candidates were more qualified but he told me later he had a good feeling about me. I started at 35000 4 months ago and just got a raise to 38000. In January I'll be at 42000. Not to bad considering last january of 2012 I was working at a goodyear doing brakes and oil changes for $13/hr. Anything is possible..
  • Options
    Junior 1Junior 1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am Junior, I got my ccna since 2014 but no job. Because I don't have experience. I am looking even for volunteers job to have experience.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Now, my friend (yes, a friend and not me :)) only lasted about 3 months here and got canned. What did he do? Put that down as a short term consulting gig, and moved onto the next job. Did same as before, lied through his teeth, but this time had the 3 month "job" on his resume... got hired, lasted about 6 months at the next job. Each time he moved on, he had more "experience" to put down on his resume.

He rinsed and repeated this about 4 times... he now makes more than me, and I truly do not know what the hell he really knows or doesn't, but the guy has a good job now and been in IT for around 8 years now.

Weird how the world works, aint it?

7 years late..... but this was a Hilarious post!!
    lol
    (i gave Sam some rep-points; but looks like he moved-on years ago)

dmarcisco wrote: »
    I got my current job with my ccna but that was due to my personality. My boss told me other candidates were more qualified but he told me later he had a good feeling about me. I started at 35000 4 months ago and just got a raise to 38000. In January I'll be at 42000. Not to bad considering last january of 2012 I was working at a goodyear doing brakes and oil changes for $13/hr. Anything is possible..

Inspirational too :]
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, while we are all replying years late to a thread... does anybody feel like hiring a CCNA without Cisco experience?

I've been working the phones at a Tier 1 ISP / Telecom for about two and a half years now. I get to do most of the provisioning for a class 5 telco switch, and troubleshoot voice circuits daily using remote switches, DSLAMs, multiplexers, channel banks and voice gateways, but my Cisco experience is limited to my home practice lab.