Options

MS in Systems Engineering

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I have been looking more into Masters degrees (I've been accepted into a Homeland Security program, but I don't think it will be running/plus I feel it might limit me). I've since found a MS in Systems Engineering. My undergrad work was in computing security so I've been looking for a more generalized Masters program. In my research I've found that it would apply to many different areas. What do you guys think? Also, the GREs are not required, but will be looked out if submitted. My scores in math and science were lower (B/C range due to laziness and not so much lack of ability) so I fear it might prevent me from being accepted. I don't want to take the GREs, but with my grades I think I might have to take them to show that I can do the math related work. All opinions welcome and thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have considered going into this program after my BS in IT:

Iowa State University
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why would you want a more general graduate degree? That seems backwards to me. This should be the time to specialize. You might want to hold off if you're undecided on which path you want to go.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My reasoning for going for a more general degree is because of my experience thus far with my undergraduate degree. A lot of companies I have interviewed with have said "with such a specialized degree you won't like the job" on top of interviewing for security positions and being told "you don't have enough experience." Plus, Systems Engineering seems to cover a lot in project management, communication, and team building. Thus far I have seen two major projects at my company suffer from a lack of good project management, communication with the needed departments, and a lack of stated requirements prior to beginning.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are going to go general than I would suggest an MBA. A general MS in IT is probably not going to pay off or be worth it.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    IA State is a really good school. Good campus in a cool town. If you get a chance, look up the facilities they have in the engineering building .. they also have a replica/rebuild of the atanasoff-berry computer. Fun stuff.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    A Masters in System Engineering is an excellent degree for work in the aerospace, commercial aviation, and defense industries, where very large and complex technical projects are the norm. This is one of the most common engineering degrees that aerospace companies will pay for their engineers to get. I've though about getting a system engineering degree myself with a software security specialization.

The Wikipedia page as a very good overview of systems engineering: Systems engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Thus far I have seen two major projects at my company suffer from a lack of good project management, communication with the needed departments, and a lack of stated requirements prior to beginning.

Then consider a PRINCE2 or PMP accreditation. Good Project Managers are worth their weight in gold! You could defer the MS, build experience on projects, keep your technical skills (dependant on the project) and give yourself many future options.....