Options

Can I use a 1760 for CCNA?

typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
Hey everyone,

Just an equipment question as I am just starting to get familiar with different series of routers/switches. I am able to get a 1760 + a WIC1T for $50 (cheaper than the 2600XMs I have found). I assume its a good deal based on some of the eBay prices I found for other 1760s.

My question is, am I able to use this for CCNA level material? Just a little hesitant on purchasing it because of all the telephony stuff it can do. I just wanted to connect it to my 2501s for routing practice and config practice. Based on the data sheet (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920f2.html), these routers will support EIGRP/OSPF and HSRP. Would this be a wise purchase for CCNA level studies? Appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say do it if you can afford it. I was thinking about getting a small VoIP setup going to get a better understanding of how it works because it doesn't look like CCNP talks about it too much as I'm reading right now actually, (or at least not as much as I'd like). Sounds like it could be a nice way to easily bridge off into more areas.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Go for it, 1760s are decent routers for a lab.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would say go for it. It all depends too on how far you plan to go. If you plan to go CCNP then you should invest the extra money if you have it for the 2600XM's. If not then just go with those for now. It all depends too on what IOS images they have. Do you know which version of the IOS it is, is it the ip base, advanced enterprise ?
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    Hey thanks so much for the replies.

I am not sure what IOS is on it, the guy doesn't really know much about it either.

Ideally I wanted an XM, but they are pricey especially when shipping is factored in (all the deals seem to be in the U.S!!). I am sure the 1760 will come in handy for future Cisco studies as well. Wanted it so I can practice some routing with my 2501s using EIGRP/OSPF.

Just another question... is the power supply the same as what my 2501s use?

Data sheet says:
    Power

The Cisco 1760 router has one universal internal power supply (applicable to all countries) and no external power brick. It has no locking connector on the power cord.

* AC Input Voltage: 100 to 240 V
    * Frequency: 50-60 Hz
    * AC Input Current: 1.5A maximum
    * Power Output: 50W maximum
    * No redundant power supply option

Not really sure what that means ...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    typesh wrote: »
    Just another question... is the power supply the same as what my 2501s use?
    The 2500 series and 1760 have integrated power supplies. You just plug them into the wall using the correct IEC cable. The rest of the 1700 series however have the brick on a leash type power supply.