Options

is changing/obtaining another ios version legal

knewboldknewbold Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sorry for posting a few basic newbie posts

Is it possible to change the ios version on the router?

the reason i ask is i have purchased a few routers from various sources and i would like the same IOS version on there

1 is quoted as having 1.4 with call manager express on there.

I have no idea how ciscos software licencing works - so i gather people just download the ios's from torrents - or is it legal to change the version?

(sorry for putting this in the voice forum)

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    knewbold wrote: »
    Sorry for posting a few basic newbie posts

Is it possible to change the ios version on the router?

the reason i ask is i have purchased a few routers from various sources and i would like the same IOS version on there

1 is quoted as having 1.4 with call manager express on there.

I have no idea how ciscos software licencing works - so i gather people just download the ios's from torrents - or is it legal to change the version?

(sorry for putting this in the voice forum)

You can not change the IOS from a torrent website, downloading via a torrent is illegal. I'm not sure if they are the same router if you could use the other routers image or not...
  • Options
    knewboldknewbold Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i understand that technically if you download the image from a torrent - it is ilegal

i just wondered how other people did it

there are a lot of listings on ebay saying that "if you want a different IOS it can be put on"

i wondered how people got away with this - hense me asking about licencing/copyright issues

I dont actually intend downloading a image - i just wondered how people did this legally
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knewbold wrote: »
    i understand that technically if you download the image from a torrent - it is ilegal

i just wondered how other people did it

there are a lot of listings on ebay saying that "if you want a different IOS it can be put on"

i wondered how people got away with this - hense me asking about licencing/copyright issues

I dont actually intend downloading a image - i just wondered how people did this legally

Download Software - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you're following the rules set out by Cisco, the copy of IOS that is present on a second hand device isn't legal either. Cisco encourage people to buy brand new equipment by insisting that you pay a fee to relicense IOS if you buy a second hand device.