Options

Cisco Academy

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,

What is Cisco Academy (CCNA1) is different with CCNA that we are taking from Cisco.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco Networking Academy - Cisco Systems

The Cisco Network Academy is Cisco's Training Program offered through High Schools, Colleges, and Training Institutions worldwide.

CCNA1 is the first "semester" of the 4 "semester" CCNA Course -- which currently comes in two different "flavors." The CCNA has the Discovery and Exploration versions -- but both supposedly "get to to the same place" -- the CCNA.

When I took the old CCNA Academy courses, it was possible to take 2 of the "CCNA semesters" (8 weeks each) within one actual College Semester (16 weeks) and finish the CCNA program within one academic year.

The book forms of the courseware have been available in the past from Cisco Press.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have just completed the Cisco Academy course, and i think it is a very good training resource, there are plenty of labs to put what you have learned in that chapter into practice, and end of chapter, and the sections of the course flow nicely and are easy to follow, i had the benefit of being able to use both Exploration and Discovery, if you are new to networking i would go discovery and if you have a little knowledge i would choose exploration, but also i would suggest having a second training resource (i used the odom book), as if you are struggling to understand something a different explanation may be easier for you to grasp.
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    rodan07rodan07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    7255carl wrote: »
    I have just completed the Cisco Academy course, and i think it is a very good training resource, there are plenty of labs to put what you have learned in that chapter into practice, and end of chapter, and the sections of the course flow nicely and are easy to follow, i had the benefit of being able to use both Exploration and Discovery, if you are new to networking i would go discovery and if you have a little knowledge i would choose exploration, but also i would suggest having a second training resource (i used the odom book), as if you are struggling to understand something a different explanation may be easier for you to grasp.

I couldn't agree more with Carl, but I would like to add that the Cisco Networking Academy is especially good for people whose learning style involves classwork. And of course, having the Packet Tracer simulator is invaluable.

In my case, having a teacher, and having the course broken up into manageable chapters, really helped me.

R
    Roy Verges, CCNA
    Working on CCNA Voice & MCSA.
    Hoping for time to exercise and play music (dream on...)
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    7255carl wrote: »

+1 - and now a lot of sites are upgrading their systems to do the CCNA-S also.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I did the 4 course cisco academy thing at my community college. I really liked it. Since the program is developed by cisco, you most definitely learn everything and get all the lab experience they want you to have. Not like the people who do very brief studying then **** the rest.

If you do it at an actual teaching institute, make sure they have the physical equipment so that you can do all the labs on actual hardware. Packet Tracer is nice for some of the stuff, but its very limited and has some bugs. I would not want to use it for everything.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What´s the difference between Exploration and Discovery?

None of that was around when I took em.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    auos wrote: »
    Hi,

What is Cisco Academy (CCNA1) is different with CCNA that we are taking from Cisco.

auos,

What do you mean by "...CCNA that we are taking from Cisco."?
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lizano wrote: »
    What´s the difference between Exploration and Discovery?

None of that was around when I took em.

Discovery from what I understand takes a basic look at the Cisco related material, while Exploration is very much more technical. If you took the Cisco material before it was split up, the Exploration is supposed to match up with the old material.

Semester 1 + 2 of the Discovery is supposed to equal Semester 1 from the Exploration and prepare you for the ICND1, while 3 + 4 from Discovery is supposed to equal Semester 2 - 4 from Exploration, and prepare you for the ICND2. I saw this on their website, under the Course Materials. I am not sure I can recommend Discovery so far. I am currently studying for the CCENT, with it, and CBT nuggets, and it seems watered-down. I would recommend people using the Semester 1 from Exploration, instead of Semesters 1 + 2 from Discovery to prepare for the CCENT.