Options

Should I go for a job based on Linux/unix and not windows would it effect my career

Well I had my first interview today

They seem very impressed that I did my background research and told me I certainly know my stuff. They also ask me some technical questions and said they were some of the best answers they had.

Anyway guys I need some advice

They hardly bother with windows no AD or exchange there mainly into Linux and Unix and there is no 1st or 2nd line you do what you can and they said I could build server etc and do more technical stuff. There would also be programming involve using PHP.

They said they would get back to me later this week if I am successful for a 2nd interview. There were around 100 people who applied and only 3 of us have been interviewed.

If I was to get the job should I go into an IT based on Linux and not windows would I be limiting myself in the future since I would have no further active directory or exchange expierence

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The same thing could be said for working in a Windows, Cisco, Sun shop... if you need the job and don't find it utterly boring, take it. icon_wink.gif

Having said that, my work focuses on Linux. However, I still keep up on Microsoft as part of my after-hours business. Do what you like and find a niche. Linux can be a great niche for some people and there are tons of jobs out there for people REALLY good at it. I've never known a person highly skilled in Linux and having great soft skills to be out of a good job.
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Yeah if I am offered the job I think I would take it It just depends on the money because alot of the support is with there corporate apps and unless I can make a decent living there woulld be no point in just limiting myself to that place.

However I think the interview we even talk about xbox 360 lol

I got another interview tomorrow so I hoping that goes well
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i definitely think you will be hurting your future chances on other windows based jobs. Most jobs out there are windows based companies so yeah you would be hurting your chances of obtaining future jobs in windows based companies. However with this economy if they offer it to you , take it. I wouldnt stay for too long unless you feel you want to be there for 5+ years. Maybe stay for like 1 or 2 years and in the meantime study your microsoft stuff and then move on to better things.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    i definitely think you will be hurting your future chances on other windows based jobs. Most jobs out there are windows based companies so yeah you would be hurting your chances of obtaining future jobs in windows based companies. However with this economy if they offer it to you , take it. I wouldnt stay for too long unless you feel you want to be there for 5+ years. Maybe stay for like 1 or 2 years and in the meantime study your microsoft stuff and then move on to better things.

It depends on money if I take it or not

If I could make a decent living out of it then I would take it however if It was low pay then I would'nt bother I would just keep my part time IT job and carry on with certs and my degree.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thomas130 wrote: »

They seem very impressed that I did my background research and told me I certainly know my stuff. They also ask me some technical questions and said they were some of the best answers they had.

They hardly bother with windows no AD or exchange there mainly into Linux and Unix and there is no 1st or 2nd line you do what you can and they said I could build server etc and do more technical stuff. There would also be programming involve using PHP.

They said they would get back to me later this week if I am successful for a 2nd interview. There were around 100 people who applied and only 3 of us have been interviewed.

If I was to get the job should I go into an IT based on Linux and not windows would I be limiting myself in the future since I would have no further active directory or exchange expierence

If they offer you this job take it.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just moved over from a Windows only environment to a mostly (only windows in use is for general web surfing; all work computing is done on Solaris) Luckily for me, I'm a network engineer, so it doesn't affect me as much as it will you icon_biggrin.gif My opinion though, is it won't hurt you as much. As Darkerosxx mentioned you can definitely work with windows in your downtime, even as a second job or consulting for someone else. I myself do some independent IT work for a couple of realtors. Nothing fancy, just typical helpdesk stuff ensuring their computer experience is just a smidge better than bearable icon_cool.gif In my opinion, it's a little more flexible to work in a UNIX environment because there are numerous opportunities to work with Windows part time. I'm not sure it's as flexible the other way around.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Linux/Unix is not just one thing...it's a huge field ! there's a lot out there you can do...ranging from supporting linux/unix systems to web hosting...or even scripting.

The need for a good Unix/Linux admin is always there, and there will always be rarity so that's a good thing.

Depending on your job, you will most probably many things, such as some backup tools and some SAN administration, which is very hot in the market now. Do some searching for Unix/Linux on job boards, and you will see the diversity of skills out there, and the pay rate also.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    thomas130 wrote: »

Around me, Linux/Unix pay a lot more than similar Windows positions and I don't see linux/unix going away anytime soon.

I don't think you are limiting yourself.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any professional experience with Windows based environments presently? You certainly wouldn't be worse off coming to a point where perhaps you had to find work again and came to the table with no experience at all vs. experience in a Linux environment - regardless of the job you were applying for.

It really depends on what you desire for your career path as well as what your current need for employment is. Personally, I wish I had more Linux experience than I currently get where I'm at because I find it more interesting. I've also noted in my region that while Linux/Unix related jobs are less common than Windows administration jobs, they do seem to offer more attractive salaries than their Windows counterparts.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If that's what your current offers are requiring it makes good sense to focus on that.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have the luxury, pursue the path that you will enjoy more. You can make a decent living in either field, but you can make a very good living if you enjoy what you do, because you will excel at it.
  • Options
    Do you have any professional experience with Windows based environments presently? You certainly wouldn't be worse off coming to a point where perhaps you had to find work again and came to the table with no experience at all vs. experience in a Linux environment - regardless of the job you were applying for.

It really depends on what you desire for your career path as well as what your current need for employment is. Personally, I wish I had more Linux experience than I currently get where I'm at because I find it more interesting. I've also noted in my region that while Linux/Unix related jobs are less common than Windows administration jobs, they do seem to offer more attractive salaries than their Windows counterparts.

I have worked within a windows based environment for over 2 years at the moment I thinking if I was to get the job and take it I could do it for a couple of years and least I would have both windows/unix/linux experience.

The thing I like about the job is that there is'nt so much a 1st/2nd line and they did say I can get involved in server builds etc. Also I would be doing programming as well not to the level of a developer mainly stuff in php etc.