Options

USB Linux; What do you use?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Of those of you who have Linux loaded on a flash drive which distro are you currently using and why?

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BackTrack. I use it for the tool set it comes with.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Backtrack 4. I usually have three USB sticks with me:

BT4, Switchblade, and one for data.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    See I've had BT on mine for a long time. I don't know but it just seems like overkill to have when I just want something secure that I can trust when I'm on an untrustworthy machine.
  • Options
    If you have been using BT then you should easily be able to use any of the main distros without a problem... Ubuntu or whatever. Why not just try a few out and see what you like?
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Ubuntu or a copy of DSL. Usually only need it for surfing, or for recovering files windows cant see.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    DSL: Dame Small Linux icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    BackTrack 4 Pre
    BackTrack 3
    Helix
    DEFT
    Matriux
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    I sure could use a USB-installable Linux distro that has 50+ different Malware scanners on it, making it a portable version of www.virustotal.com for hard drive partitions. It'd need to automatically update all the Malware definition files too. So useful that'd be.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I sure could use a USB-installable Linux distro that has 50+ different Malware scanners on it, making it a portable version of www.virustotal.com for hard drive partitions. It'd need to automatically update all the Malware definition files too. So useful that'd be.

You could use a Windows PE disk for this. The GeekSquad have this refined to an art witht the MRI PE, but that is proprietary of course. But witht hat tool a chimp with a banana can clean a bad virus infection. Still no good, IMO, if you've been rooted... But what is other than format/reinstall?