USB Linux; What do you use?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Posts: 441Member
Of those of you who have Linux loaded on a flash drive which distro are you currently using and why?

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Posts: 708Member
    fedora 10
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Posts: 4,298Member
    BackTrack. I use it for the tool set it comes with.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Posts: 2,621Member
    Backtrack 4. I usually have three USB sticks with me:

BT4, Switchblade, and one for data.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Posts: 441Member
    See I've had BT on mine for a long time. I don't know but it just seems like overkill to have when I just want something secure that I can trust when I'm on an untrustworthy machine.
    If you have been using BT then you should easily be able to use any of the main distros without a problem... Ubuntu or whatever. Why not just try a few out and see what you like?
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Posts: 260Member
    Ubuntu or a copy of DSL. Usually only need it for surfing, or for recovering files windows cant see.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Posts: 428Banned
    DSL: Dame Small Linux icon_cheers.gif
    Im a depressed loser :sad: none wants me.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Posts: 259Member
    BackTrack 4 Pre
    BackTrack 3
    Helix
    DEFT
    Matriux
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,026Admin Admin
    I sure could use a USB-installable Linux distro that has 50+ different Malware scanners on it, making it a portable version of www.virustotal.com for hard drive partitions. It'd need to automatically update all the Malware definition files too. So useful that'd be.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I sure could use a USB-installable Linux distro that has 50+ different Malware scanners on it, making it a portable version of www.virustotal.com for hard drive partitions. It'd need to automatically update all the Malware definition files too. So useful that'd be.

You could use a Windows PE disk for this. The GeekSquad have this refined to an art witht the MRI PE, but that is proprietary of course. But witht hat tool a chimp with a banana can clean a bad virus infection. Still no good, IMO, if you've been rooted... But what is other than format/reinstall?