how do i find out about jobs that arent posted?

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently have a job. However, its 70 miles away and my wife is 5 months pregnant. So I would like to be closer to home after the baby comes. There are very few companies close to my home and I dont really know someone on the inside at these places. How could one find out about jobs that are not posted at a company? I know there are a few places such as a school district and hospital that has a computer department but I never see any openings in IT. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I could at least get my name in at one of these places? I would like to be in the loop as to openings in the future.

Comments

• RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    You could call and inquire about open positions.

Or you could go by and drop off your resume to HR depts, let them know you are interested in working there. Ask that you be considered for any future IT positions etc.

Did you try looking at these specific organizations websites? I've seen alot of bigger companies, esp school districts here, show openings on their site but do not post on monster/cb/etc.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bhs00 wrote: »
    I currently have a job. However, its 70 miles away and my wife is 5 months pregnant. So I would like to be closer to home after the baby comes. There are very few companies close to my home and I dont really know someone on the inside at these places. How could one find out about jobs that are not posted at a company? I know there are a few places such as a school district and hospital that has a computer department but I never see any openings in IT. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I could at least get my name in at one of these places? I would like to be in the loop as to openings in the future.

Do you have any IT groups that you could start networking with? I have just recently become a member of the ISSA and have already started making valuable contacts. These are the two groups I am most familiar with.

http://www.aitp.org/
    https://www.issa.org/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Contact them directly and ask if they are hiring. You can also get in touch with head hunters in your area and let them know if anything comes up to contact you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could call and inquire about open positions.

Or you could go by and drop off your resume to HR depts, let them know you are interested in working there. Ask that you be considered for any future IT positions etc.

Did you try looking at these specific organizations websites? I've seen alot of bigger companies, esp school districts here, show openings on their site but do not post on monster/cb/etc.

yes ive tried individual websites. No luck. I live in a small area with few companies but I know for a fact that some of them have IT departments. There's also a community college I would like to work at in town.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might help you with the following things :

1. Does your wife have a job or work and is the pay good at the job ?
    2. Is the pay good at your current job ?
    3. Do you own or rent your ?
    4. Could you move if you need to?
    5. If you own your house could you sell it or rent it?

I ask these questions to look at your problem. Here is what you need to know until Health Care Passes or Fails ( God willing it will Fail) companies are not going to be hiring until they know what there costs will be in the future. If Health Care Passes and requires small / medium business to cover employees you will see most close up period. It is very unlikely you will find a job within 5 months when given the location of where you work and live now. You most likely option is to travel like you are or move closer to work.

Hope this helps youicon_exclaim.gif
    Free Reading : History Books
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My suggestion... I'm not exactly in an IT hotbed either. However, I didn't find my last job... my last job found me. It wasn't posted on the job sites, news paper, etc. but it was submitted to some local staffing companies, who found my resume on either Monster or Dice (I forget which). If you want to be proactive, go ahead and polish your resume and submit it to the online engines, and look for a local recruiting agency to work with as well. Maybe 9/10 of the nibbles will be a waste of your time, but then you might find the one you are looking for.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blargoe wrote: »
    My suggestion... I'm not exactly in an IT hotbed either. However, I didn't find my last job... my last job found me. It wasn't posted on the job sites, news paper, etc. but it was submitted to some local staffing companies, who found my resume on either Monster or Dice (I forget which). If you want to be proactive, go ahead and polish your resume and submit it to the online engines, and look for a local recruiting agency to work with as well. Maybe 9/10 of the nibbles will be a waste of your time, but then you might find the one you are looking for.

I got my job from a recruiter looking on Monster. When recruiters are looking for you it seems to go a lot quicker as well.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I got my job from a recruiter looking on Monster. When recruiters are looking for you it seems to go a lot quicker as well.

Same here also. I wasn't even looking for a new job at the time, but I got an email like the thousands before and decided to actually responded because the job sounded interesting. I wasn't really expecting anything to come of it though. It all worked out pretty good. Its always a good idea to keep an updated resume on the job boards I guess. You never know what might come your way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.