Options

ONT Progress

Comments

• Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Need to reread chapter 5, I guess I didnt retain the info as I didnt do well on the chapter questions. I will try and read about half today and half tomorrow. Got some shopping to do, just me and my daughter. Our first outing together without mommy, she is 1. Pray for me!
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Need to reread chapter 5, I guess I didnt retain the info as I didnt do well on the chapter questions. I will try and read about half today and half tomorrow. Got some shopping to do, just me and my daughter. Our first outing together without mommy, she is 1. Pray for me!

Good luck! For what it's worth, my 4 yr old daughter has always been great with me in public. It's when we're out as a group that she acts up..

Glad to hear you're still chugging away. I look forward to seeing a pass. I just started on the CCDA material today. It is somewhat interesting to me, but I'm only on page 20..so we'll see what I say in 200 pages :)
  • Options
    Day went swimming, didnt do much shopping though. We got to the mall and she was a perfect angel. Just wanted to get out of the stroller and walk around the stores lol.

Good luck on the CCDA material, it does look quite interesting. I honestly dont know when I'll be making an attempt. I am late start for work today, and late night for a migration tonight so I'm getting some reading in this morning. Decided to come back to chapter 5 later, and move ahead to chapter 6, QoS Pre-Classify and implementing QoS end to end. Sounds pretty exciting already.

• Options
    Just finished QoS Pre-Classify and End to End QoS chapter (6). Maintaining tunnel QoS for none layer 3 information, and basically implementing end to end QoS as topics. Seems like this chapter should have been further forward, but whatever. Done with it, moving on to Chapter 7, AutoQoS. Labbing it today as well. Getting close to picking a date, probably Feb 7th, depending on how strong I feel. Ready to be finished with this track, so I can move on.

• Options
    Ready to be finished with this track, so I can move on.

I know the feeling. It sounds like you're gaining momentum, so you should be ready soon. I know what you mean about being ready to move on. I've been very refreshed by the CCDA material, although I find most of the topics barely brush over the technical details I remember studying in the CCNP track. Not that it's a surprise, but it's a definite change.

Good luck my friend..you're on the final stretch :)
  • Options
    Thanks MRock, good luck on the CCDA material.

Finished up to Chapter 9 out of 10, about halfway through chapter 9. I plan on finishing up my reading this weekend and focusing on my weak points. Looking more and more like early Feb for this one. I'm finding it hard not to look at my CCIE material :D

• Options
    Finished reading the exam guide, man was that difficult. Just not real intersted in the topics, VoIP and WLAN were overlaps and pretty interesting. I will be watching vids all this week and just hitting the practice exams. My weakest section is QoS surprise surprise, so I'll be working that in labs and practice topics this week. Still looking like first or second Sunday in Feb for an attempt.

On another front, i've got my CCIE lab put together. I just need one more router, actually one more router with 2 FE ports. I actually have 12 routers total, 7 switches, it's pretty massive. Pictures coming soon.

• Options
    Finished reading the exam guide, man was that difficult. Just not real intersted in the topics, VoIP and WLAN were overlaps and pretty interesting. I will be watching vids all this week and just hitting the practice exams. My weakest section is QoS surprise surprise, so I'll be working that in labs and practice topics this week. Still looking like first or second Sunday in Feb for an attempt.

On another front, i've got my CCIE lab put together. I just need one more router, actually one more router with 2 FE ports. I actually have 12 routers total, 7 switches, it's pretty massive. Pictures coming soon.

What's your lab consist of? I'm starting to piece mine together as well. It will basically mirror the INE v4 topology with 1841's, 2 3550's, 2 3560's, etc. Until it's all together and functional I'll be using dynamips and rack rentals though.
  • Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    I'm starting to study for the ONT now. It feels pretty good to be on the last exam, but I have this strange anxious feeling. I want to be done!

Are you doing any labs for the wireless stuff? I'm thinking I can get away with just studying Cisco documentation for that part ( like I did for the BCMSN ). Buying a WLC is just too expensive, even on ebay.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    as i understand you need a cco login but you don't need a support contract.

you can get one of them jsut by signing up
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    CCO login didnt work for me Devil, have you been able to download it?

• Options
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    Are you doing any labs for the wireless stuff? I'm thinking I can get away with just studying Cisco documentation for that part ( like I did for the BCMSN ). Buying a WLC is just too expensive, even on ebay.

I wont be labbing the wireless at all, I will try to get away with just knowing or refreshing the theory. I feel you on this anxious feeling, I am ready to be finished. I've been putting a lot of effort into putting my CCIE lab together as opposed to the CCNP lab I had. Starting the home stretch for this exam though, basically practical application, videos and practice exams. I'm thinking about 2 weeks from this Sunday. When's your date?

• Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    What's your lab consist of?QUOTE]

I'm following the INE lab recommendations as well with some substitutions in there. I've got all of the hardware, with the exception of 1 2611xm router, which is on the way and should be here this week. For my core routers (R1-R6) I've got 1 3640, 3 2620xms, and that aforementioned 2611xm that's on its way. For a Frame Relay switch, i've got a 3620 with 2 NM-1E2Ws and 4 WIC-2Ts. For backbone routers, i've got 3 2610s. And last but not least, for my 4 switches I went with 4 3550s. 3 24PWR models and 1 48 port non pwr model. 3560s were entirely too much, so i'll probably just rent for what I'm missing when it comes to layer 2. I'm waiting on a few modules, a few cables, got some more cables to make and then i'm ready. I'll be purchasing INE labs I and II in the next week or so.

• Options
    Good plan..it's very similar to mine, although I suspect I'll be a couple of months behind you- gathering equipment. I want 3560's as well, but they are quite pricey. I still have 100+ hrs of rack rentals left over from my last attempt, so I may also get 4 3550's. I've got the Vol I & Vol II labs, and the INE Advanced tech class CoD. I have nothing but good things to say about the ATC so far, although I've only skimmed the surface as I'm doing a lot of reading these days.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Henry,
    How goes it man? Since we are both hitting the ONT I thought I would tell you about some decent free labs I found by accident. INE's sample chapter from Vol1 WB is all QoS stuff. Seems alot more practical than what the ONT portfolio has in it (which kinda sucks in my opinion). Its mostly MQC stuff, but their explanations seem excellent. You guys kinda have me thinking whether to completely build my RS lab., or to move on...my stuff is at the bottom. Seems like I would need 3 rtrs supporting MPLS, Frame Switch, and 2x 3560's to complete it (per INE's topology) so I dont know. Maybe just get the 3560's, and Dynamips the rest.
  • Options
    CCO login didnt work for me Devil, have you been able to download it?

Sorry I was told it worked with only a CCO login, however I have a partner access on the account I use. And also have just brought ACS5.1 for work so I dont have a problem getting hold of it.

I also have the demo version but you need a licence to install it. let me see if i can find it for you.

I keep thinking i should stay where I am. I get to install ACS 5.1 in a large switch network over the next few months, all on my own. Should make that part of the CCNP a piece of cake!! OK money might be pants but its like one big lab ;)

update: I just checked it seems you do need an better account to download it. May be worth asking cisco for access. tis a 60day trial and you will need vmware..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Henry,
    How goes it man? Since we are both hitting the ONT I thought I would tell you about some decent free labs I found by accident. INE's sample chapter from Vol1 WB is all QoS stuff. Seems alot more practical than what the ONT portfolio has in it (which kinda sucks in my opinion). Its mostly MQC stuff, but their explanations seem excellent. You guys kinda have me thinking whether to completely build my RS lab., or to move on...my stuff is at the bottom. Seems like I would need 3 rtrs supporting MPLS, Frame Switch, and 2x 3560's to complete it (per INE's topology) so I dont know. Maybe just get the 3560's, and Dynamips the rest.

Man, were we brothers seperated at birth or something Jason? I noticed that too, and I just purchased the INE Vols I, II and IV so i'm definitely thinking that's what i'll be doing for the labs from here on out. I'm ready to be finished with this. I stayed away from the 3560s because they are just way too expensive. 4 3550s will do for most everything and the few things it wont do for, I will just rent some rack time. I'll post some pictures and list what i've got in the CCIE forum once I'm completely done prepping, I just received my final router today, a 2611xm. Waiting on some more serial cables, some modules, wics and to finish making the last few crossovers.

• Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Sorry I was told it worked with only a CCO login, however I have a partner access on the account I use. And also have just brought ACS5.1 for work so I dont have a problem getting hold of it.

I also have the demo version but you need a licence to install it. let me see if i can find it for you.

I keep thinking i should stay where I am. I get to install ACS 5.1 in a large switch network over the next few months, all on my own. Should make that part of the CCNP a piece of cake!! OK money might be pants but its like one big lab ;)

update: I just checked it seems you do need an better account to download it. May be worth asking cisco for access. tis a 60day trial and you will need vmware..

Lol dude, I totally went down this road, chatted with a Cisco employee and they pointed me down the same road and it was all for naught. I ended up just using a different RADIUS/TACACS server for those labs.

• Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    SysAdmin were you able to come up with anyway to study the WCS and Cisco Works WLSE for the wireless section? I just started on the ONT and I don't see trial versions for these programs. So other than memorization how do we get exposure to these technologies before the exam?
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    jeanathan wrote: »
    SysAdmin were you able to come up with anyway to study the WCS and Cisco Works WLSE for the wireless section? I just started on the ONT and I don't see trial versions for these programs. So other than memorization how do we get exposure to these technologies before the exam?

If you don't already have access to it, you're pretty much bound to rote memorization. That's why I hated the ONT wireless section.
  • Options
    Jeanathan, Forsaken is correct. There's no real way unless you already have access to the two, it's not worth buying it for such a small portion of the exam. I'm hoping its similar to the BCMSN where just knowing the theory was enough to get by. That's what I hear so far.

Been working practice exams, weakest in the Wireless sections of course. The QoS stuff is pretty straightfoward, and the VoIP stuff is easy. Over all though, this exam seems fairly easy. I'm averaging 80% on practice exams already. Also watching videos (train signal) but like the book, it's a bore. I'm mostly focusing on cabling and purchasing for my CCIE lab. Oh my wife will be taking a break from law school (as soon as she started) because we found out last week she is officially 3 weeks preg!!!!! I wanted to cry at first lol, as our daughter is only 14 months now, but it's ok. This is why we bought the biggest house we could afford at the time, in case of an oops even though we had decided on one kid. She is devastated about law school for now, but she can pick back up in about 2 years when both kids are past the infant stage. I'm feeling like we can do it just like with our daughter, so I'm not as terrified as I was with her. We are experienced now lol.

• Options
    yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    From what I've heard from friends who took the ONT is that its the easiest of the 4 exams. I've completed the book and I have to say that none of the subjects are very in-depth, especially wireless ( it seems like they didn't even know where they were going with wireless, 3/4 of the material is already covered in the BCMSN ). Obviously the focus of the exam is QoS, but at most you need to understand it from a very high-level with minor configuration knowledge. It would have made a lot more sense if they left out the VOIP and Wireless and focused on QoS, at least then you would have a single subject covered well.
  • Options
    Oh my wife will be taking a break from law school (as soon as she started) because we found out last week she is officially 3 weeks preg!!!!! I wanted to cry at first lol, as our daughter is only 14 months now, but it's ok. This is why we bought the biggest house we could afford at the time, in case of an oops even though we had decided on one kid.

Congrats! My wife is 14 weeks pregnant now with twins. Pretty shocking, as our first is 4 yrs old. It definitely makes things interesting..for me, it's more motivation. I have to clear my goals to support them all...best of luck :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The hardest part about the Wireless section is keeping which technology goes with what features straight (which one runs on Windows? Which one runs on on Windows or Linux? What are the memory and version requirements? Which feature goes with this software, which goes with that)

The way I handled this was pretty simple - I typed up a sheet with the different items on it, printed it out, and looked it over for about 10 minutes before the exam to keep it fresh in my mind (I also did this with CCDP ARCH exam, and the various windows software in the security sections).

It is an absolutely horrible way to learn. I don't remember most of it now, but since I didn't have the technology to actually get hands on with and learn for it, I settled for learning enough to pass the exam. I normally do not endorse a strategy of 'pass the exam' over 'learn the material for real', but in some cases, you really don't have a choice.
  • Options
    I know what you mean Forsaken, its rough not having the equipment or the software. It's more for the exam anyway though, because the material, like Yuriz said is so shallow, that retaining this info would really do you no good real world anyway. I figure if I need any of the wireless material going forward for whatever reason (we currently use Enterasys controllers and APs, I helped put some out at an animal shelter for the RFID guns and laptops they use to track the animals in the kennel areas), then I'll learn it in depth then. Hell, I'll probably be sent to formal training if that happens.

Thanks on the congrats MRock, man that's crazy, twins! I guess I could be in the same boat, huh? Yeah it really does put into perspective the situation the US and the rest of the world is in right now. On my way home from the gym I had to turn the radio off, it was just too much. They were talking about the debt strategy to deploy versus the stimulus and the consequences of letting either one get out of control/too lean. I just kept thinking wtf will I do for these 3 PEOPLE I am now going to be responsible for. I am rarely nervous, excited or anxious about situations. I've been through the hardest service known to man in the Marine Corps and its hardened me to a degree. But this is scary. But we're actually striving during this downturn. I've invested in some avenues I would have otherwise been priced out, we have tons of cash savings, more than I've ever had and growing, and we're both gainfully employed in lucrative industries, I in IT and she in mental health. My daughter, who is 14 months, is oblivious to the world as she should be. She just plays, laughs, and has fun all day. Her biggest worry is bathtime or diaper changes, which puts a halt on playtime for a split second. I love that she is just so happy and excited about everything. I want to keep her innocent as long as possible. And as for this new guy/girl? Well my daughter's room will be moving over to where the office is, only fair she gets the bigger room. He'll (hopefully its a boy!) get the nursery, and i'll move downstairs. I got so much work in those three moves, more furniture to order, get home and put together, more painting, late night decorating, etc. Even though we've owned our home for almost 3 years now, we dont live in every room. In fact most of the rooms were completely unoccupied, we had no reason to be there or put anything in them. We lose our proposed home gym (although there may be a workaround with the office) but I gain a bigger office area, which is cool. I will probably buy all new furniture for the office as well, as stuff is cheap these days, might as well. I am excited, terrified, happy, sad, and everything else in between.

• Options
    Feb 21st. That's the new date. In the meantime, I'm labbing from the INE Vol I CCIE workbook, starting with QoS as my first technology (I know huh, damn that rocks!). And of course practice exams up the wazoo, making sure i'm retaining the info.

• Options
    Feb 24th. That's the new date. In the meantime, I'm labbing from the INE Vol I CCIE workbook, starting with QoS as my first technology (I know huh, damn that rocks!). And of course practice exams up the wazoo, making sure i'm retaining the info.

Sounds great :) ..I'm doing a lot of reading right now for the IE written exam, but in about a month or so I plan on relabbing the INE Vol I stuff. I did them a long time ago, but not since the v4.0 update.

I'm very much in the same boat as you. My wife was 8 weeks pregnant when we found out it was twins..very cool I think. I also wonder how things will work, when we go from 3 in the household to 5. When we buy our house, we'll be looking at a minimum of 5 bedrooms (we also have a proposed 'house gym' like yourself), and a computer room/office is a must. We'll see. I always think it's better to a little worried..it keeps you on your toes and motivated. It all works out, somehow! I'm on my way out the door from the Army, so I have the added stress of finding a good job, and separating from the service..it will be interesting! Anyway, I'm also hoping for at least one boy out of the twins..we will find out next month. Can't wait!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Feb 24th. That's the new date. In the meantime, I'm labbing from the INE Vol I CCIE workbook, starting with QoS as my first technology (I know huh, damn that rocks!). And of course practice exams up the wazoo, making sure i'm retaining the info.

What practice exams you using? The ones at the end of the Off. exam guide? I think I am setting my date on the 13th...we will see. Almost completely through the lab portfolio..and going through wireless section here at work with the WLC. Only 1 AP to "use" unfortunately, but I think thats enough to get the idea.
  • Options
    Man Mrock, i'm excited for you. At this point you've got a greater chance at a boy then I do, you get a 2fer lol. Good luck, although once you have 1 girl, you've been through the pink and purple indoctrination. It's whatever from there, right? Good luck on the homebuying too man, it's fun, and stressful at the same time. But getting those keys, not many things beat that feeling. By the way, thank you for your service. I know it's a bit cliched these days, but I know what it means to become "Gov Property". I bet it feels good to be so close to EAS or whatever you Soldiers call it lol.

Jason, I'm using transcender man, that's pretty much a staple for me. They are difficult questions, often more difficult than the exams themselves, the format is very close to the exam and it gives you a way to track your progression. They also usually have a pretty big pool so you dont run out of fresh question often. I usually start them 2 weeks to 30 days out. Gets you thinking about the topics in new ways and lets you know if you're ready or not to challenge the exams. I've been using them for years.

• Options
    Babies abound it seems... ;)

I feel I know how you feel. My first is coming in may. Like you a mixture of feeling, and the news doesn't help. But then again I did marry the coolest girl in the world, and days are full of fun. Life is good and mostly worry free. (Thank you to the people who helped keep it like that).

might not be just your networking skills i require ;)