Options

2900xl?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Is this switch going to be decent for use in a CCENT lab? I've seen the CCNA lab suggested here: but it doesn't include a switch, and I already have a router, not in that lab, so I would like to try building a lab with the following hardware. I am getting the switch from a local pc shop that should be selling it to me at a decent price, it is likely busted in some capacity(some ports may be dead).

2514 Router
(other router. It seems I need two for an effective lab?)-will accept suggestions
2900xl switch
2-3 client computers.

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    If you are going for your CCNA next then check out:

CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community

As for the 2900s the commands are different from the 2950 (which are used for the CCNA).
    But good enough for CCENT I would think.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Is this switch going to be decent for use in a CCENT lab? I've seen the CCNA lab suggested here: but it doesn't include a switch, and I already have a router, not in that lab, so I would like to try building a lab with the following hardware. I am getting the switch from a local pc shop that should be selling it to me at a decent price, it is likely busted in some capacity(some ports may be dead).

2514 Router
    (other router. It seems I need two for an effective lab?)-will accept suggestions
    2900xl switch
    2-3 client computers.

Research ebay prices first before you buy anything. If you don't research, how will you know if this shop's price for that switch is reasonable or now ? Read the FAQ here on building home labs and read through the individual posts and you will build up a good idea of what you should be spending your money on before you start spending it. You can get quite good labs going with very little money when you know what you are looking for.
    Kam.
  • Options
    I will, I like the suggestions on the website above better than the CiscoKits site, as I already have some of that hardware.

A little off topic, I was just given a Cisco 400 Hub(I know), and it doesn't have a console port. It should look like this:

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000103/Images/140/LEN-B-FS-CIS400-02.JPG

Instead looks like this:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/5/0/2/7/9/webimg/290639616_o.jpg?nc=11

But it doesn't have the console port. Apparently it is a model difference. How do I console into this model?
  • Options
    Upon review of the documentation for this model, there may not be any console port, apparently it is supposed to be managed by another hub! Freaking ridiculous! Whoever thought of such a crazy system.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Upon review of the documentation for this model, there may not be any console port, apparently it is supposed to be managed by another hub! Freaking ridiculous! Whoever thought of such a crazy system.
    It isn't particularly crazy. The unit you've got is designed to go into a stack. By itself, your unit is a basic unmanaged hub. Even if it was the managed version, it is useless for any current Cisco certification.
  • Options
    Still annoying. It'll probably have to go on ebay. I've never sold on there before.