Options

Getting equipment for my CCNA lab

PetterDPetterD Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Im a newbie to this forum, and not too well experienced with Cisco, although ive done some simple configuration changes in the past.

Im trying to get my hands on some home-lab equipment for my CCNA (and hopefully CCNP in the future) lab.

I already got the following equipment:

Cisco 2900 switch (24x 10/100)
Cisco 2950 switch 24ports 10/100 and 2x10/100/1000

I got the opportunity to purchase the following equipment for a fair price:

Cisco 3560 router (with 8 serial interfaces)
Cisco 3560 Router (one serial interface and 1 10/100 ethernet)

Would these routers be enough for my CCNA/CCNP lab ?
Do you think i need more equipment (routers/switches) ?

Would also like to thank you for a great site with alot of interesting information for a Cisco newbie icon_smile.gif

Best Regards.
Petter D

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    If you search the forum, there are many threads on buying equipment.

If the 2900 is an XL-EN then it would be good as a third or fourth switch. You'd want another 2950 as this supports the newer IOS commands.

I'm also assuming the routers are 3640 not 3560(these are actually L3 switches). If they are and the memory is maxed out, 128 DRAM /32 FLASH, then they would be good for CCNA and beyond.

Good luck and welcome to TE forums!
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey PetterD

I can most certainly hook you up. Answer my PM if you are norwegian.

3640 / 2950 are great for CCNA (and beyond for that matter). 3 switches are ideal for CCNA btw.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, ill take a further look at other ccna equipment threads :)

The seller states that the routers are 3560 routers (he is also selling a 3550 routing switch and some other switches/routers).
    Im actually not sure what type of 2900 switch i got here, it just says "Catalyst 2950 Series".

mens: Yep, im norwegian, Ill reply to your pm :)
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    How much are the routers?
  • Options
    How much are the routers?

The 3560 router with 8 serial interfaces are 350$
    The 3560 router with 1 serial and one 10/100 are 300$

I paid 200$ for the 2900 and 2950 about a year ago.
  • Options
    Now I`ve finally got some more equipment, thanks to a nice member here at the boards. My lab-equipment now consists of;

3 Cisco 3640 routers. (2 of them fully upgraded)
    3 Cisco 2950 Catalyst switches.
    1 Cisco 2900 Catalyst switch.
    1 Cisco 2514 router.
    1 Cisco 1721 router.
    1 Cisco 800 router.
    1 Cisco 760 (isdn router).

+ some serial cards, ethernet cards,cables, etc.

This should (hopefully) be more than enough for my little CCNA lab.
  • Options
    PetterD wrote: »
    Now I`ve finally got some more equipment, thanks to a nice member here at the boards. My lab-equipment now consists of;

3 Cisco 3640 routers. (2 of them fully upgraded)
    3 Cisco 2950 Catalyst switches.
    1 Cisco 2900 Catalyst switch.
    1 Cisco 2514 router.
    1 Cisco 1721 router.
    1 Cisco 800 router.
    1 Cisco 760 (isdn router).

+ some serial cards, ethernet cards,cables, etc.

This should (hopefully) be more than enough for my little CCNA lab.

To be honest with you that is probably overkill for your CCNA lab. You probably would have only needed 2 3640 and 2 2950's, and the 1721 and you would have been fine. My CCNA/CCNP lab consists of:

1 2950 switch
    1 2610xm router
    2 2650xm's router
    1 1721 router

So your lab will lead you into the CCNP. I am going to pick up 1-2 layer 3 switches, but I've just been doing everything in dynamips with my router image.
  • Options
    After reading the lab-setup that others got for CCNA (and even CCNP) it looks like a little bit overkill, but it never hurts to have enough equipment ;).

Ive also installed the GNS3-software and really like the ability to play around with virtual routers when im at work. Could probably manage to get the CCNA just with virtual equipment, but i like hands-on experience, so ill probably just sell the routers when im done with my CCIE in a few weeks... ;).
  • Options
    After reading the lab-setup that others got for CCNA (and even CCNP) it looks like a little bit overkill, but it never hurts to have enough equipment ;).

Ive also installed the GNS3-software and really like the ability to play around with virtual routers when im at work. Could probably manage to get the CCNA just with virtual equipment, but i like hands-on experience, so ill probably just sell the routers when im done with my CCIE in a few weeks... ;).

No it never hurts :) Don't forget I believe with GNS3 and I know dynamips you can hook up the virtual labs to your real equipment and make them interact with each other. I have done it at home and it is freaking sweet. The only thing I need is a new computer because my lags so bad when I run dynamips it isn't funny.
  • Options
    The only thing that might hurt is my girlfriend beating me up because of the noise...

Ive been trying to adjust the "idlpc" settings in GNS3 to lower the cpu-usage, but ended up creating a VM on my ESX at work (and at home) with 4CPU`s and 2gig ram. Seems to do the trick, although 2 virtual routers now uses 70-90% CPU and 1,5G of ram on my ESX.

I also finally managed to create a cloud and connect the router to my LAN. It now receives DHCP address and ive started to play around with it locally here. GNS3 is really alot of fun!.

Going to be really nice to have the hardware up and running aswell, and Im currently looking for a rack to place all the equipment in. Hopefully i wont forget to study for the CCNA while playing with my new toys ;)
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No it never hurts :) Don't forget I believe with GNS3 and I know dynamips you can hook up the virtual labs to your real equipment and make them interact with each other. I have done it at home and it is freaking sweet. The only thing I need is a new computer because my lags so bad when I run dynamips it isn't funny.

Hook them up with real equipment? That really does sound sweet. I must look into getting dynamips then. Perhaps I can use it to beef up my rather feeble lab until i'm forced to get some more serious gear.:)
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbadman wrote: »
    Hook them up with real equipment? That really does sound sweet. I must look into getting dynamips then. Perhaps I can use it to beef up my rather feeble lab until i'm forced to get some more serious gear.:)

There is a tutorial on how to do it here

Documentation | GNS3
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    There is a tutorial on how to do it here

Documentation | GNS3

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Holy Grail of GNS3 is called GNU/Linux. On windows performance of GNS3/Dynamips is very poor compared to GNU/Linux (I would say 3-5x less on windows).
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

Im a newbie to this forum, and not too well experienced with Cisco, although ive done some simple configuration changes in the past.

Im trying to get my hands on some home-lab equipment for my CCNA (and hopefully CCNP in the future) lab.

I already got the following equipment:

Cisco 2900 switch (24x 10/100)
    Cisco 2950 switch 24ports 10/100 and 2x10/100/1000

I got the opportunity to purchase the following equipment for a fair price:

Cisco 3560 router (with 8 serial interfaces)
    Cisco 3560 Router (one serial interface and 1 10/100 ethernet)

Would these routers be enough for my CCNA/CCNP lab ?
    Do you think i need more equipment (routers/switches) ?

Would also like to thank you for a great site with alot of interesting information for a Cisco newbie icon_smile.gif

Best Regards.
    Petter D

I would recomend the GN3 its perfect if you are looking forward for the CCNP, one question isnt the 3560 a switch???? im pretty sure it is.

Good luck
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"