Options

console cable

canthony1980canthony1980 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I have just realised that new pc and laptop nowadays do not come with a serial port. The problem is one end of the console cable is db9 serial. so what are you guys doing.

I am thinking of getting a usb to serial cable lets hope that works. so what are you guys up to then

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Hello all.

I have just realised that new pc and laptop nowadays do not come with a serial port. The problem is one end of the console cable is db9 serial. so what are you guys doing.

I am thinking of getting a usb to serial cable lets hope that works. so what are you guys up to then
    I have used a USB to serial adaptor. Usually work ok but some times they will change com port assignment. Sometimes com3, other times com4.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Generally any USB <-> RS232 serial adapter will work so long as it is a popular chipset. I've used FTDI and Prolific based ones with no problems. As noted by mikem2te, sometimes the com port assignment changes even if you use the same USB port on your PC.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Generally any USB <-> RS232 serial adapter will work so long as it is a popular chipset. I've used FTDI and Prolific based ones with no problems. As noted by mikem2te, sometimes the com port assignment changes even if you use the same USB port on your PC.

Yeah, I had friend who bought a USB to RS232 that was not recognized by Plug and Pray. You have to make sure you buy a good brand.

[edit] Just noticed I have over a thousand posts now icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

YAY Grats VL !
    Kam.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Hello all.

I have just realised that new pc and laptop nowadays do not come with a serial port.

Took me a bit by surprise this as well. Have two now. One for work and one permanently plugged into USB 2 whilst I move the other end around various home lab devices.

The one they got me for work was horrid and I never could get it working. Lives in my bottom draw in office desk unused now.
    Kam.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I had friend who bought a USB to RS232 that was not recognized by Plug and Pray. You have to make sure you buy a good brand.

Yep, I prefer the prolific chips personally. I made the mistake of buying 5 in an ebay auction just last week and never bothered to check the chipset or really read the auction that well. They were dirt cheap, 5 for about $11 shipped but it's an odd chipset that does not have a signed driver available which throws a wrench into things with 64bit versions of Vista or Windows 7 unless you desire to get crafty with workarounds.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567

9000+ more and you can catch dynamik!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I use a prolific usb to serial, and keep the drivers for various os's on my usb stick, there have been times when I've had to use computers other than my own. I also bought the longest one I could find, as there have been times when I've had to plugin to a switch that's at the top of a 48U rack which is filled... the switch is on the backside, and the servers on the front, and they stack high enough that I had to go in over the top to reach the console port. The longer serial cable allowed me to do that and still have enough room to set the laptop on the cart, so I wasn't standing there holding it. The longer cable is also nice if I want to park my butt on the floor and the gear I'm connecting to is at the top of the rack
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    YAY Grats VL !

Thanks!
    9000+ more and you can catch dynamik!

Hmm...