Options

Masters Program Questions

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all...

I am thinking of applying to a Masters Program (M.Eng) in Network Engineering. I am completing my undergrad soon. The requirements for the M. Eng are that the candidate have an undergrad in Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering. Or Computer Science.

My undergrad is a 4 year Business/IT degree. Half the courses are management/business courses, while the other half are IT courses (programming, databases, system design ect).

Is it worth applying, or do they only take candidates with the above mentioned degrees?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    new2net wrote: »
    Hello all...

I am thinking of applying to a Masters Program (M.Eng) in Network Engineering. I am completing my undergrad soon. The requirements for the M. Eng are that the candidate have an undergrad in Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering. Or Computer Science.

My undergrad is a 4 year Business/IT degree. Half the courses are management/business courses, while the other half are IT courses (programming, databases, system design ect).

Is it worth applying, or do they only take candidates with the above mentioned degrees?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

The best bet is to email/call the admissions department and ask.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you don't meet the requirements, they may admit you but require that you take some additional courses to fill in the gaps. It's definitely worth contacting them.
  • Options
    new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I will call them and ask.

I was also curious, do they (admissions AND employers) usually look at degrees in Comp Sci and IT as very different? The reason I ask is because I look at the courses covered in both programs, and there is not a huge difference...

Just wondering because the M. Eng Program requires that the candidate have a degree in Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering. Or Computer Science. I can see how Electrical/Computer Engineering and Comp Sci would be a requirement... but don't really understand how Mech. Eng can help you get into Computer Networking. I would think someone with an IT degree would be a little better suited, no?
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    If you are applying for a computer programming job without experience then there is a big difference between IT and Comp Sci degree. For stuff like tech or network support the difference is minute. Later on in life when applying for any management jobs your degree in Business/IT will be MUCH better than someone with a degree in Comp Sci.
  • Options
    Watch out!!! if it requires a BS in an engineering program the MS will probably include alot of Calculas based theory. And let me tell you I would rather have open heart surgery without being put under some good drugs than take calculas again. Took Calc I throug IV and it was the most painful thing I ever did. PS I have never used it since I graduated. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    FireMarshall,

Did you also get the Difficult equations course too, along with Physics 1 to 4 with Calc.

My friend told me during the calc and physics lectures 200 people to a room, 15 to 20% was the common score on the exams and everybody except a few guys "who were not right in the head, they scored in the 90's". It was a common accepted fact, turn in the 20 hours a week of homework, show up to lecture, and the test scores are what seperated A,B,C's you only failed if you didn't do the work.

I remember looking at the requirements for the first two years of a EE degree.

Calc. 1 thru 4 4 hours each.
    Physics plus lab with Calculus 1 thru 4 4 hours each. 1hr lab.
    Linear Alg. 1 and 2 4 hours each.
    Difficult equations 4 hours.
    1 math elective in 400 series, must be in math majors curriculum.

Add in your basic engineering classes, there was one a semester, other general requirements, and life sucked. Plus the last two years was 12 engineering classes which were 3 hours + a lab.

Suffice to say I went computers.

It's a shame most engineers don't make 6 figures to start as most of their programs are 5 years plus extremely hard and time consuming compared to marketing degrees, where 6 figure sales jobs are common.
  • Options
    Hey Bellhead I like it - Difficult Equations, that is a better way than saying differential equations or as we called it Diffy Q. Yeah I had it along with the Physics and Chemistry classes. And yes at U Mass Lowell the class size was in the hundreds. There was no life when taking these classes, and at the college I went to if you failed the tests you failed the class, I had to redo calc 4. icon_cry.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'm wondering how similar the program would be to my masters of Telecommunications. They weren't sure where to place to program for awhile either the EE department or the IS department. Can you provide a link to the school I'm curious to see what the program entails. I know you will need to be good in math none the less. I have a BS in MIS as well so I struggled getting some of the math this year, but its not terrible. I just finished a cryptography course and can't believe how well I picked up all the high level math.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Many larger companies look for the traditional CS and EE degrees and don't hold the BSIT and MSIT in the same high regard for science and engineering positions. Companies are having to adjust because of the number of majors that are now placed under the "IT" category, but it's a slow adjustment, and the preference is still towards the "old school" degrees.