Options

Postfix to act as incoming mail relay/backup to barracuda?

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hi All

Just wanting to check the validity of my thinking here. We have an Exchange 2003 installation with mail being delivered to a Barracuda 300 and then forwarded to the server. Yesterday we had some problems with the Barracuda involving recipient validation and it started deferring delivery. There was some assumption on the part of higher-ups that the spam filter should be queuing mail when it can't be delivered. Could we create a postfix mail server to act as our primary incoming mail server, which would then relay to the barracuda, which would finally pass legitimate mail into the network? This would give us two mx records we could publish, and a degree of mail queuing. What are your thoughts?

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I recommend replacing those Barracuda's with a set of Cisco IronPort appliances. :) Ok so much for Cisco propaganda. LOL. I have administered Barracuda appliances before. I cant say I have ever heard Barracuda having that problem.

Recommendation 1: You are on the right track. Setup 2 Ubuntu Linux Servers to hold your MX (2)records for your domain. Then have the Linux boxes forward mail to your Barracuda. Has alot of nice goodies out of the box: Postfix, SpamAssasin, AV, TLS, & DKIM. Easy setup and pretty secure.

Recommendation 2: Add one additional Barracuda devices. So if one is experiencing problems and can be brought down for maintenance. This eliminates your single point of failure for email.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)