Options

32 bit/64 bit? I feel dumb! Please help

sschmidlapsschmidlap Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I bought this PC in 2006. Pentium 4 processor with Vista Home Basic. I did some research tonight, but can't find anything definitive. In the Performance Information and Tools app the report states: 64-bit capable Yes.

Does this mean I have a 64 bit system board and processor? Can I replace the 32 bit Vista Home Basic with a 64 bit OS without buying new hardware?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sschmidlap wrote: »
    I bought this PC in 2006. Pentium 4 processor with Vista Home Basic. I did some research tonight, but can't find anything definitive. In the Performance Information and Tools app the report states: 64-bit capable Yes.

Does this mean I have a 64 bit system board and processor? Can I replace the 32 bit Vista Home Basic with a 64 bit OS without buying new hardware?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

If I am remembering correctly some models of the P4 support 64-bit and some do not. I recommend looking up your processor model# on Intel's website...

Of course something bought in 2006 is ancient by chip manufacturer standards...I'm sure they still have the technical information out there somewhere though...

MS
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    sschmidlapsschmidlap Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help guys. And you were right about some Pentium 4s supporting while others don't. That's what made it so confusing. I got lucky. Wiped the hard drive and am running Windows XP Pro 64 bit. LOVE IT! I can't believe I put up with Vista for so long. You won't believe how much RAM I have available now. So much more responsive. If you're wondering why I didn't go with Windows 7, it's because I read the minimum RAM is 1 Gig. I only have 2 G RAM total and need to run a bunch of virtual machines.