Options

Question

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have bounced the idea of doing the MS path around in my mind for about 6 months publicly and about a year privately. I have come to the conclusion (actually I have been forced) that I need to get some MS certs on my resume and even though it doesn’t directly fit in with what I want to do, it should make me a bit more marketable.
As someone who is (reluctantly) going to head down the MS path (company is pushing for all arounders), starting with the 290, I am curious, what is it that I need to learn that is not on the exams? I mean I know that is a loaded question, but as far as windows OS is concerned are there any books that I should pick up to gain a deeper understanding of common task? I know I am going to pick up a book on powershell but other than that I am not sure. Since I probably won’t start mixing MS into my studies into after the CCNA:S is done, I have some time to decided so I am in no rush.
Also another question is the MCSA (possibly MCSA: S) and MCITP: SA combination as “strong” as the MCSA and MCSE? I still see many jobs asking for the MCSA/MCSE and I have seen very few jobs asking for MCITPs in my area but it is almost 2010 and server 2003 is 7 years old. I am curious if Win7/2008 would be a better “learning platform” than 2003/XP. Of course both would be good, I am thinking about the short-term future. Any MS guys and girls want to give me some words of wisdom?

Comments

• Options
    HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The best thing is to start at the first exam, say the 70-290, and read these forums for suggestions of study material. The exams might not cover absolutely everything you will encounter in the real world, but you will get a very good start. Much of it depends upon where you're coming from as well.
    My advice is to concentrate on the exams and pick up other things later, otherwise you may take on too much at once and just end up with a desk full of half-finished projects.
    If you require help on specific tasks, Microsoft's TechNet is a good place to go.

As for the MCSE or MCITP route - it depends what time and resources you can dedicate to study. Most people need several months to complete the full MCSE. Some people drag it out over years. You could get the MCSA instead and then go for the W2008 if you wanted.

Right now I'm going for MCSE and will upgrade later to the W2008 certification. I still believe that route is worthwhile.
    I believe MS dropped the ball when renaming the MCSE as few people know the new confusing titling of the W2008 exams.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you using 2k3 or 2k8 at work? If you are using 2k3, then I would hit the 290, 291, 680. That would give you the MCSA, using the A+ and Net+ as your electives. If you haven't done so,I would contact CompTIA and get your certs transferred to your MS transcript.
    You could also do the 299, which would give you MCSA:Security later on. You could also upgrade to the MCITP:Server admin later on.

If your company is already on 2k8, you could work the server administrator route.

Since MS and Cisco each have enormous market share in their fields, it makes sense to be proficient on both sides of the fence.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    +1 for Psoasman.... If you think that your company will still be using Windows 2003 for another year or 2, go for MCSA 2003. But if the company will be migrating to Windows 2008 in the following months, I will advise you to start studying for Windows 2008. I will suggest MS Press book, techexams and a home lab for your study.