Options

Do I still have time....

to study for the MCSE 2003 or should I just start with the 2008.

Comments

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I understand that the 2003 exams will be around for a while yet.

Depends on what you are using at work. If you are using 2008 (or upgrading soon) maybe better to go down that route ??
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    I understsand. Is the objectives that much different from 2003 to 2008? Once I take the 2003 can't I just upgrade to 2008?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    I understsand. Is the objectives that much different from 2003 to 2008? Once I take the 2003 can't I just upgrade to 2008?

You definitely could, just make sure you choose do the Vista or Win7 client certification for the MCITP:EA since the 2008 route does not recognize XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I think it would be better to do the 2003 track and then upgrade to 2008.
    That way you'll have experiance in 2003 and 2008 and employers will like that.
    Thats just my view.
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    Super99 wrote: »
    I think it would be better to do the 2003 track and then upgrade to 2008.
    That way you'll have experiance in 2003 and 2008 and employers will like that.
    Thats just my view.

Yea, thats the route I'm going to take.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Does anybody know when they are going to retire the 2003 tests?
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when they are going to retire the 2003 tests?
    They are not currently scheduled to be discontinued:
    Microsoft Certified Professional Exam Development - Discontinued Exams
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    They are not currently scheduled to be discontinued:
    Microsoft Certified Professional Exam Development - Discontinued Exams
    So we're good thru 2010. Maybe even 2011? icon_thumright.gif

It's gonna take me some time to knock out these exams.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team. I am sending you the following information in response to your query.

Exam 70-270 is part of our MCSE certification on Windows Server 2003. You are required to complete 7 exams in order to obtain this certification. Here are the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification requirements.

The MCSE will be retiring sometime in 2010, however we are unaware of the exact date at this time.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lamini wrote: »
    Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team. I am sending you the following information in response to your query.

Exam 70-270 is part of our MCSE certification on Windows Server 2003. You are required to complete 7 exams in order to obtain this certification. Here are the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification requirements.

The MCSE will be retiring sometime in 2010, however we are unaware of the exact date at this time.

Wow, are they finally going to retire it, eh? I need to get on my horse and GO then.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    the other half of that email:

If you have further questions about these certifications, please let me know. Have a great day!

We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at mscgt@microsoft.com, or visit our Microsoft Certification and Training Guidance website.

Thank you,
    Jared Hargrove | Learning Expert| Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    mscgt@microsoft.com |1.866.722.4982 ext. 1601
    Guidance Team: hours of operation
    Monday through Friday, 5:30–17:00 (5:30 A.M.–5:00 P.M), Pacific Time Zone, continental United States
    Note At this time, support is available only in English.
  • Options
    WOW! Well, that answers whether or not MCITP:EA will start being recognized by HR departments :D

Or am I being to hopeful icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Thank god, finally.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    well crap. I guess this means I need to get off my arse and get moving on some exams this year!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    well crap. I guess this means I need to get off my arse and get moving on some exams this year!

Im with you on this one! Lets hope they announce a LATE year retirement.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    snadam wrote: »
    Im with you on this one! Lets hope they announce a LATE year retirement.

Since the MCSA/MCSE 2003 track has been so insanely popular and sought-after, and considering how long it was between the announcement of the 2000 track retiring and the actual date it did, I'm guessing that they'll announce the retirement date in 2010. . . but it won't be until 2011 or 2012 that the actual exams retire. And, knowing Microsoft, there'll probably be some pushbacks and extensions before the final nail is in the coffin. I'm sure we have plenty of time left.

Still, this does mean that we can officially stop telling people that the 2003 exams aren't retiring anytime soon and newbies can safely start working on the MCSE and upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I agree, i bet the retirement will be ~march 2011 but will simply be announced this year. Which means there is still plenty of time to start and finish an MCSE.

However, that depends on the person. Some people starting from scratch wont be able to get the material down, pay for, and pass 7 tests x 125$ from now until first quarter next year.
  • Options
    This would make baby jezus cry. i just picked up my 70-270 book last week... figures.
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    I just picked up my 70-270 book last week... figures.

Just knock off the MCSA and go for the MCITP Path icon_wink.gif It's good that you have 2003 knowledge, it will still be important.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I agree, i bet the retirement will be ~march 2011 but will simply be announced this year. Which means there is still plenty of time to start and finish an MCSE.

However, that depends on the person. Some people starting from scratch wont be able to get the material down, pay for, and pass 7 tests x 125$ from now until first quarter next year.

I don't know about this. MS Learning has become increasingly more hard line with their policies and they are bending less and less to pressure provided by the public. If I were looking at finishing this track I would plan on having it completed by the Fall. If we don't hear anything by Spring, then I would say you guys are right and they will not be discontinued until 2011. But if I were just starting on my MCSE I would nock out the core exams right away and only worry about the electives later.
  • Options
    I dont think MSL knows what MSL is doing :D

They flip flop more than a mcdonalds hamburger patty.

That being said, I would prefer an early MCSE retirement, so companies get the chance to start learning what an MCITP is.
  • Options

That being said, I would prefer an early MCSE retirement, so companies get the chance to start learning what an MCITP is.

Retiring a Cert path is not the most beneficial method to bring awareness to your new line of products. Companies will learn more and more about the 2008 track when they start upgrading to Server 2008. And from my experience, I see 1 Server 2008 environment for every 60+ 2003 environments.

That being said, I would prefer a later MCSE retirement, so I have more time to complete the last 2 required exams. :)

• Options
    MCITP will never gain prominence until everybody stops being able to get the MCSE, because everyone still goes for the MCSE.

Seriously, its time to move on.
  • Options
    gocubsgocubs Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Professional Exam Development

the retiring in October list, no MCSE stuff there but I could believe them announcing it this spring then retiring in early 2011, should give me at the least this year to finish up what i need
    So Far: A+, MCDST, MCITP:Vista Supporting

2010 Plans: MCSE:M+S and CCNA

Studying: AAS in Networking and Security
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Of course at some point in time the MCSA/E will be retired. But it's not really when Microsoft decide, it's when the majority of businesses decide it's time to upgrade. As a tech, I think we all want the latest, greatest and most honored certifications possible. So by all means, it never hurts to go for the latest out there. But a lot of people fail to realize from an "enterprise business" stand point, they could care less what the latest technology out there is. All they care is that their IT infrastructure is stable enough to run their business. Companies don't choose to upgrade because a product is the latest. They upgrade based on efficiency, scalability, and productivity. Microsoft's 2003 products are more in demand than it's 2008 products right now, which is why most (including myself) are pursing the 2003 stuff first. According to Microsoft, they retire certifications when they decide to stop supporting the technology. And if they stopped supporting their 2003 technology right now they'll lose tons of money and have a lot of pissed off customers. In the United States, there are many enterprise businesses out there still using old technology, such as NT and Windows 2000 Servers. As of now, MCSA/E 2003 is the way to go in my opinion. Especially with today's economic crisis, most businesses won't be in a rush to upgrade to 2008. I personally think 2003 will remain more in demand for at least another 3 years.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    gocubs wrote: »
    Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Professional Exam Development

the retiring in October list, no MCSE stuff there but I could believe them announcing it this spring then retiring in early 2011, should give me at the least this year to finish up what i need

Good! I was looking for that page and must have skipped over it. I would say I agree that they will probably be anounced this year then.
  • Options
    Technito wrote: »
    Of course at some point in time the MCSA/E will be retired. But it's not really when Microsoft decide, it's when the majority of businesses decide it's time to upgrade.

I think you have misunderstood the thread. We are talking about when MS will discontinue the exams; they have always said the MCSE 2003 itself will never be "retired." The MCSA/E will have relivence for a long time.
    Technito wrote: »
    According to Microsoft, they retire certifications when they decide to stop supporting the technology. And if they stopped supporting their 2003 technology right now they'll lose tons of money and have a lot of pissed off customers.

Well, it is coming... Saying that does not change the fact that mainstream support for Server 2003 R2 ends in July of 2010.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+Server+2003+R2
  • Options
    MCITP will never gain prominence until everybody stops being able to get the MCSE, because everyone still goes for the MCSE.

Seriously, its time to move on.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I think the driving force of cert popularity, is the popularity of the technology itself. In my previous example loosely based on my numbers for the year, the market is still predominantly 2003. I would even venture a guess that they have 90%+ of the 'market' still. 2008 is great, I like working with it, and will have its day in the sun soon. Will it succeed more if they retired the 2003 track? Maybe. It is far less likely to pursue certification in a product you don't have/use. (I don't necessarily agree with that, but its a common trend) Also, not to sound cliche, but 'with the economy the way it is', I dont foresee an OS upgrade to 2008 anytime soon.

• Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    I think you have misunderstood the thread. We are talking about when MS will discontinue the exams; they have always said the MCSE 2003 itself will never be "retired." The MCSA/E will have relivence for a long time.

I didn't misunderstand the thread. That was just a general statement to some of the replies I been seeing in the "MCSA/MCSE on Windows Server 2003 General" forum. There are people spreading false news that Windows Server 2003 products and MCSE/A is going away this year or expecting an announcement that it will be. As time passes, it is however getting closer to that point but there's no such official news. There was a similar discussion going on in the Cisco forum about the CCNP being retired.
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Will you be able to go from MCSA:2003 to the MCITP without gaining your MCSE first?