Options

Hardware Error during Ping

thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just loaded XP on my laptop and I've been having issues with my wireless connection. Everything works fine but after I wake the laptop from sleep mode I try to ping and I keep getting a hardware error. After I restart the laptop everything works fine again until it goes into sleep mode again. I've tried looking for other similar problems on google but haven't found anything yet. Just wanted to see if anyone else has run into the same problems or had any suggestions as this is getting very annoying. Thanks!
In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Firmware and driver upgrades is what I would suggest. Make sure the version of the BIOS is up-to-date, the firmware for the router, drivers, etc are all in the most current version.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Firmware and driver upgrades is what I would suggest. Make sure the version of the BIOS is up-to-date, the firmware for the router, drivers, etc are all in the most current version.

A Pastafarian I see...
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    A Pastafarian I see...
    Have you been touched by a noodly appendage today?
  • Options
    jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is the error you are getting? It may be that the NIC isn't reactivating after going to sleep. If it's a Dell I would almost guarantee it. You can always try to recreate the hardware profile and toy with your power options.

edit: meh, just saw its a wireless card...prolly not this issue then
  • Options
    thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is the error you are getting? It may be that the NIC isn't reactivating after going to sleep. If it's a Dell I would almost guarantee it. You can always try to recreate the hardware profile and toy with your power options.

edit: meh, just saw its a wireless card...prolly not this issue then

It's a gateway laptop and I'm just getting a hardware error when pinging my gateway after waking my laptop. When I ping with the loop back address it's fine so I know there is no issue with the wireless card/NIC as far as it being bad. I think it might be some driver compatibility issue...
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    thomAZ wrote: »
    It's a gateway laptop and I'm just getting a hardware error when pinging my gateway after waking my laptop.
    Is it actually associating itself with the AP correctly? You get a hardware error if it hasn't connected.

What happens if you try reassociating with the AP? Does it work then?
    When I ping with the loop back address it's fine so I know there is no issue with the wireless card/NIC as far as it being bad.
    Huh? Pinging the loopback address doesn't hit your wireless card at all. Its all within the TCP/IP stack.
    I think it might be some driver compatibility issue...
    Most probably. It isn't resuming correctly from sleep. As others have suggested, you should update the BIOS and drivers.