Options

PC Problems

redbull2689redbull2689 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just bought a new MSI MEGA 651 PC. It's a barebone cube made by MSI. I added a :
P4 2.0GhZ 512L2 Cache
40 GB WD HDD
MSI TV@nywhere Card (8606)
256 MB Patriot RAM PC2100
MSI CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
GeForce 2 MX400
Windows XP Pro

The barebone comes with a 200W Power Supply, and the Motherboard. (Intel Compatable)

I am experiencing random beeps, and real sluggishness with my computer. The mouse locks up a lot, the beeps can happen at almost anytime too. Also when booting up to windows, it shows the Windows XP Pro loading screen (w/ blue bar), and then it goes black for almost 7-10 minutes before displaying the login screen. I also have some lower voltage numbers. (I used an MSI Utility to check these)
VCore: 1.44-1.46
3.3V: 3.26-3.32
+5.5V: 5.49-5.03
+12V: 11.60-11.74 (Seems low)

I have even tried formatting my HDD to see if that would fix it, but it didnt. I am now very confused. I think its the power supply, but am not sure. If it is, I would like to know if it has to be the same one, or can it be upgraded. I looked on MSI's website, but could not find anything out. I e-mailed them, but they did not help me at all.

If you are interested, I can get the cubes for $200 a piece. (Just PWSupply, MB, Case & Remote)

Please Help, this has been going on for about 2 weeks, getting worse everyday.

Thanks!
Custom Builder
Computer Reseller
Texas Light and Sound

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you are on the right track - a 200W power supply would not run my old 1G Celeron properly once the cards were installed.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    400 Should be standard.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Those miniPCs... "toasters" or "lunchboxes" as I have heard them termed are cool, but they just seem to invite power and thermal issues by design.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    redbull2689redbull2689 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to change power supplies then, but because of its wierd design how can i get one to fit in there? Do they make an "external" power supply booster type thing. I guess i would have to get an MicroATX to start with, but it says use all MSI products for this MSI cube. I would most probably void any warranties, but I have to do what needs to be done to fix it. Any suggestions on changing it out?
    Custom Builder
    Computer Reseller
    Texas Light and Sound